VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to capture VHS tapes with the audio in sync with the video. I used to be able to do just that, but noticed that my captures had random duplicate fields throughout (even though Virtualdub shows no dropped or inserted frames), so I changed the options under 'timing' and was able to get captures free of duplicates. But the audio is never in sync, usually starting fine and gradually getting bad.

Now I would like to go back to getting video and audio in sync, but cannot get the right combination anymore. I was hoping that a few Virtualdub users could provide me with their 'timing' setting...I think I have tried everything, but I must have missed the right one.

I'm using Virtualdub 1.9.8 (x32), capturing the video with lagarith and the audio uncompressed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I gave up on VDub for capturing lossless without sync errors. For the few times I NEED to capture lossless I use DScaler. I just fired it up last week(or the week before) to capture a "problem child" video and it worked flawlessly as usual. Of course I'm still using XP Pro so.....who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I tried DScaler and it crashed just too may times. I'm using Windows 7, that may be the issue...

With Virtualdub, before I messed with the 'timing' options, the video and audio were perfectly in sync, every single time. Of course I was getting some duplicate fields, but I thought I could merge the audio from the file with duplicate with the video from the file that wasn't in sync. And it works, both files having the same exact number of frames.

But now that I wanted to go back and capture an in-syncs videos, I cannot get it to work again...the only thing I changed are the timing options, so the answer must be to get back the right combination.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hear you. I followed a guide of some sorts to get VDub to capture correctly that ONE TIME, and I don't remember where the guide is. And of course people who swear by VDub seem to never come to the rescue on this issue.....as you can see by the lack of response in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I also gave up on VDub for capturing because of sync problems. DScaler and various other capture programs all either had sync and/or audio volume problems. I've ended up using AmarecTV and Lagarith with my Hauppauge USB Live2 capture device and always get pretty good results with (so far) the audio in sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    And of course people who swear by VDub seem to never come to the rescue on this issue.....as you can see by the lack of response in this thread.
    Thread from 3 weeks ago.

Originally Posted by rds11 View Post
    With Virtualdub, before I messed with the 'timing' options, the video and audio were perfectly in sync, every single time. Of course I was getting some duplicate fields, but I thought I could merge the audio from the file with duplicate with the video from the file that wasn't in sync. And it works, both files having the same exact number of frames.
    So the duplicated fields replace fields that exist in the out-of-sync video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    And of course people who swear by VDub seem to never come to the rescue on this issue.....as you can see by the lack of response in this thread.
    Thread from 3 weeks ago.
    The one with two completely different answers back-to-back?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got some sync issues too with VirtualDub. I managed to solve sometimes my captures.

In the "Timing" options I let all default except "Resync Mode". I choose "Sync video to audio by adjusting video timing". It results a video that can have sync issue when you play it back with your favorite media player.

So you go the VirtualDub normal Mode, open (or drag) your file then go to the "Frame Rate" options : tick "Change so audio and video durations match". Save to a new file in "Direct Stream Mode". Normally you will have a file with a slightly different frame rate than the original but audio and video are synchronized.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The one with two completely different answers back-to-back?
    Partially different, but yes. I didn't say this was easy, with the variety of capture setups and sources as well as the nearly non-existent documentation on this dialog from the developer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. VirtualDub works well with some device, not with others. And on devices where it works different settings work for different devices. So unless someone has the exact same card, driver, and Os, they can't give specific settings.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!