VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this refurbished LG BP320 Blu-Ray player since Jan/2013 - and I had been very pleased with it - as it was able to play almost any video and audio files (including srt - subtitles for video, and 24-bit "hi-Res" audio including Flac files)

About 2 weeks' ago the display started to flash/flicker even when the screen was paused/static -

Short 6sec Video clip showing flash/flicker on Pause

At first I hoped it was just the HDMI cable - but I tried another but it still flashed/flickered - I have since also bought a third highly rated (on Amazon) cable - but the problem persists - so it is not the cable.

I made sure the player was not hot - removed anything on it and and elevated it to allow good air-flow. But the problem steadily got worse. I also checked using the other 2 HDMI ports on my TV (also checked other devices would play without the flash/flicker)

It can sometimes momentarily blackout the screen, enough that my TV would indicate/display video source, as if the HDMI had just been connected.

Anyway regrettably I had to concede it had to be the LG BP320 Blu-Ray player.

I have since replaced it with a factory remanufactured LG BP620 (the next model up from the BP320) - instead of any newer models, mainly because the BP620 (and BP320) still had separate RCA audio out so I can connect the player directly to my older non-HDMI receiver.

After the replacement arrived and I made sure it was working properly including DLNA and playing video subtitles - I updated the firm/software - and all's well again - no flash/flicker.

Out of interest I opened the faulty LG BP320 to see if there was anything I might be able to attempt to repair -
    as I have seen many repairs of Onkyo receivers HDMI boards (capacitor replacement).

LG BP320 overall - opened:

Details of the main board (I've marked the HDMI out)
    EDIT to ADD - sorry - annotation corrected (thanks to marlboro_man for pointing this out)

(Direct link to full-sized Photo)

I think these are all surface-mount components - so may be beyond my capabilities -
    that is if I can even figure what to try to replace (suggestions anyone?)

However it was very interesting to see along the right edge of the board that it was for the whole BPx20 series
    and just to the right of the HDMI port and that big metal shield/heatsink(?), what seem to may be a row of jumpers(?) with the BP320 occupied.

and just for completeness - the power board:
    Last edited by UnknownVT; 26th Aug 2014 at 16:48. Reason: corrected annotation on pic of main board
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
    I've marked the HDMI out
    That looks to me like a LAN port.

Check the voltage (under load) on +5v and +12v pins of the CN901 connector just to make sure it's not a faulty PSU board.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marlboro_man View Post
    Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
    I've marked the HDMI out
    That looks to me like a LAN port.
    You are so right, thank you - my apologies for that brain-f@rt (I've now corrected the picture)

Originally Posted by marlboro_man View Post
    Check the voltage (under load) on +5v and +12v pins of the CN901 connector just to make sure it's not a faulty PSU board.
    Thanks for that, I will.

EDIT to ADD -
    I've now done the measurements
    (I'm actually very impressed with the clarity of the LG board -
    as they actually had the pin-outs on the board) -

Digital Multi-Meter readings remained the same when the player was simply On, and when playing a DVD+R with video files -
    (screen was flashing/flickering) -
    Pin 3 = 13.16V
    pin 4 = 5.10V
    pin 5 = 5.04V

So I think the PSU is probably OK.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by UnknownVT; 26th Aug 2014 at 17:21. Reason: added PSU pin-out readings underload
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!