VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I needed a new Blu-ray player for play back at the hockey rink. I took my disc, that plays fine in my computer and on my Samsung Blu-ray player at home, to Best Buy and tried several new players. None of these played my disc. Any answers what I need to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is this a commercial disk or one you made yourself? If you made it yourself, how was it authored?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Is this a commercial disk or one you made yourself?

Thread: My recorded BD-R discs won't play on new Blu-ray players
    Any answers what I need to do?
    Yep, provide a LOT more information.

Besides what was used to author it, media brand and type ?
    So many possibilities, is it an actual BluRay structure or file(s) burned onto a BluRay disc ?
    Model of player it plays on, etc etc etc......
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is it an LTH type of BD-R disc? It will say so on the disc itself unless it's got an inkjet printable face. LTH discs are iffy and older players and some computer drives can't read them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use Sothink HD Movie Maker. I made it with my AG-HMC-150 Panasonic AVCHD video camera. Optical Quantum 25GB BD-R disc. I also, burned one on a Verbatim BD-R with same results. My burner is an LG Blu-Ray burner in my Dell computer. My home player is a Samsung Blu-Ray player. My program to play it back on my computer is Power DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can't tell without you providing spec info, but I'm guessing your "Sothink HD Movie Maker" might be cheating and is making discs that are AVCHD-compatible rather than strict BD-compatible. If your Samsung is AVCHD-compatible (most are), burning to AVCHD could exhibit the kind of problems you're seeing.

BTW, Sothink HD Movie Maker is a not-so-good paid app that uses freeware (incl. ffmpeg) for it's engine. You can probably find better (free?) options on this site.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Is this a commercial disk or one you made yourself?

Thread: My recorded BD-R discs won't play on new Blu-ray players
    Wouldn't be the first time I've misread a topic -- nor would it be the first time it's been changed after my initial reply.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Can't tell without you providing spec info, but I'm guessing your "Sothink HD Movie Maker" might be cheating and is making discs that are AVCHD-compatible rather than strict BD-compatible. If your Samsung is AVCHD-compatible (most are), burning to AVCHD could exhibit the kind of problems you're seeing.

BTW, Sothink HD Movie Maker is a not-so-good paid app that uses freeware (incl. ffmpeg) for it's engine. You can probably find better (free?) options on this site.

Scott
    What would you suggest I get?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, first before you get ANYTHING, I suggest you DL a copy of a known-good already-authored BD disc image. In keeping with copyright restrictions, I recommend an open-source movie, such as Big Buck Bunny, Elephant's Dream, Sintel, etc.

Burn that to a BD-R and test it in both your PC, Samsung player, and at players in the stores. If that plays ok everywhere, it means the difference is NOT in your burning medium nor your burner, but in the encoding, authoring & disc image creation software. If it DOESN'T play, you are more likely to have media/burner quality problems.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Burn with ImgBurn only. That removes another variable, that is, wrong settings (e.g. udf) in the burning program.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. My software company finally got back to me and told me that they haven't updated their program and it is most likely the problem.

It's time for a new program. What do you suggest? SoThink was so easy to use. Is there other programs you would recommend that is easy to use?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Been using my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 since 2012 with ripped BD back-ups of original discs with very few problems. The player was not used in 6 weeks and all of a sudden it will not play the ripped discs but will play the originals.
    I have ripped about 120+ BD discs, all on the exact same brand/type of media and have watched over half of them several times all without fault.
    Now none of them will play.
    I have done the true factory reset, twice, tried unpluging the unit overnight, tried with and without the SD card.
    I even tried to roll back the firmware by attempting to install 1.88 from a CD (even though I was sure it would not work).
    Can anybody please shed some light on this weird issue?
    - Player firmware: 1.92,
    - Ripping software: DVDFab ver 9.2.0.5,
    - Media: Verbatim BD-R DL,
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dunmisk View Post
    Been using my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 since 2012 with ripped BD back-ups of original discs with very few problems. The player was not used in 6 weeks and all of a sudden it will not play the ripped discs but will play the originals.
    I have ripped about 120+ BD discs, all on the exact same brand/type of media and have watched over half of them several times all without fault.
    Now none of them will play.
    I have done the true factory reset, twice, tried unpluging the unit overnight, tried with and without the SD card.
    I even tried to roll back the firmware by attempting to install 1.88 from a CD (even though I was sure it would not work).
    Can anybody please shed some light on this weird issue?
    - Player firmware: 1.92,
    - Ripping software: DVDFab ver 9.2.0.5,
    - Media: Verbatim BD-R DL,
    Sometimes cleaning the laser lens helps, but most often when an optical disc player suddenly looses the ability to play a type of media that it used to play with no problems it means that a laser in the optical drive is failing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll give it a try.
    Doesn't add up though - it will play less than perfect original BD (fingerprints and light scratching).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Dunmisk View Post
    I'll give it a try.
    Doesn't add up though - it will play less than perfect original BD (fingerprints and light scratching).
    Different beast. Pressed discs use pits in the disc to reflect the laser at a different angel. Burned discs have a dye which instead of reflecting the laser differently, either reflects it or blocks it. In the early days, there was no guarantee a player would read burned discs well. I owned a CD player that didn't.
    I think ideally the player needs to adjust the laser intensity to read burned discs well as they don't reflect as much light, so if the laser is failing it's probably possible it'll have more trouble with burned discs than pressed ones.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!