VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My wife has a pilates video which she uses for her exercising. The problem is as follows:-
    1. The video is 53 minutes in total length and is one file.
    2. Within the file there are no chapters, however there are five different exercise units with start headings and stopping times as follows:-
    a. Pilates Perfect Belly. Complete at time: 10mins,29secs.
    b. Pilates Perfect Buns & Thighs. Complete at time 20mins,41secs.
    c. Pilates Perfect Arms. Complete at time 31minutes,09secs.
    d. Pilates Perfect Silhouette. Complete at time 41mins,28secs.
    e. Pilates Perfect Stretch. Complete at time 52mins,04secs.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to split this video into chapters as per above and then save those chapters in order to re record them onto a DVD disc. The reason I want to do this is because it is such a schlep to try to scroll to whichever exercise she wants instead of just clicking on which chapter exercise she wants.

I have just about driven myself to total frustration trying to find a program that can do the necessary. Many programs allow splitting but don't allow you to save the split sections.

PLEASE SOMEONE, I NEED HELP!!!!! in doing the job. It will make my wife very happy if I can succeed in the challenge.
    Last edited by begood@filming; 26th Aug 2014 at 03:03. Reason: to add smilies
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any DVD authoring program can do this. AVStoDVD is a good free one.

(BTW I don't know of any programs that can make splits and NOT save them as you claim. What did you try?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In what format is this "pilates video" currently in? VHS Tape? DVD? computer video file?
    If the last, open in MediaInfo and please post here the detailed text readout (as text, not pix).

It might be that you already have something DVD-ready and just need to add chapters in authoring. Or you might need to re-encode to MPEG2. If that is the case, you should specify those chapter times when encoding so that the chapter can go exactly to that spot. (We'll get to that once you get that far).

You really shouldn't need to SPLIT anything. Chapters are really just markers in a single contiguous piece that make for easy access.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. The videos are all available on YouTube anyway, so it looks like OP has lots of options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Any DVD authoring program can do this. AVStoDVD is a good free one.

(BTW I don't know of any programs that can make splits and NOT save them as you claim. What did you try?)
    Maybe I just don't know exactly how to do the job. I used the following programs but failed to save the split files.
    1. Aiseesoft Total Video Converter Platinum
    2. Bigasoft Total Video Converter
    Last edited by begood@filming; 27th Aug 2014 at 08:23. Reason: To remove url for number 1.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    In what format is this "pilates video" currently in? VHS Tape? DVD? computer video file?
    If the last, open in MediaInfo and please post here the detailed text readout (as text, not pix).

It might be that you already have something DVD-ready and just need to add chapters in authoring. Or you might need to re-encode to MPEG2. If that is the case, you should specify those chapter times when encoding so that the chapter can go exactly to that spot. (We'll get to that once you get that far).

You really shouldn't need to SPLIT anything. Chapters are really just markers in a single contiguous piece that make for easy access.

Scott
    OK. To start. The original was given to my wife, but I don't think it was from the owners. The file is AVI and is 600MB in size.
    A question on your last comment. My wife wants to be able to choose which exercise she has to do without having to scroll through the whole dvd. Is it possible to separate the exercise files and put them in headed folders so she can choose which folder/ file/ exercise she wants?

I have downloaded MediaInfo and opened the video file in it. The info in text form is as follows:-

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Chappi-PC1\Desktop\Pilates Perfect Body.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 601 MiB
    Duration : 53mn 12s
    Overall bit rate : 1 578 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format settings, BVOP : 1
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : DX50
    Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
    Duration : 53mn 12s
    Bit rate : 1 378 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.117
    Stream size : 525 MiB (87%)
    Writing library : DivX 6.8.3-6.8.4 (UTC 2008-06-07)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Format profile : Dolby Digital
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 2000
    Duration : 53mn 11s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 73.1 MiB (12%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 96 ms (2.88 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 96 ms

Please excuse my limited knowledge in this challenge, but I am more than ready to learn how to do the necessary.

Many thanks to all so far. I will report back when I succeed and say which advice helped. Blessings till later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would say you can go one of 2 ways:
    A - Leave the clip as-encoded and cut out each segment into its own chapter sub-file, using Virtualdub, AVIDemux, or similar simple editor that does Direct Stream Copy (which doesn't re-encode but passes the data along to the output). Then put the individual chapter files in folder just like you said.
    or
    B - Use DVDStyler to do multiple things - encode your video portion to MPEG2/DVD-compliancy, leave your AC3 audio alone (aka "passthrough" or DirectStreamCopy), author your DVD with your own menu (which can be base on one of their many templates) and add chapters based on your time marks listed above. Its output should be either a VIDEO_TS folder with files or a single *.ISO disc image file. Either one can then be burned via ImgBurn (the former in "Build" mode, the latter in "Write" mode) to a DVD±R to make a working DVD.

Which way you go depends on the current quality of the video (if already crappy, re-encoding could make it look unwatchable), and on the need for a seamless experience that isn't tied down to using on devices that support (DivX+AC3)inAVI in folders.

HTH,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!