VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there!
    I'm looking for a Capture Card to use primarily for capturing video game footage. I've previously had my eyes on the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable, but it's a little pricy, and only supports HDMI.

So here's what I'm looking to Capture:
    Nintendo 64 (uses composite video)
    Nintendo Wii (uses composite video and component video)
    Microsoft XBOX360 (uses composite video and HDMI)
    My PC (uses DVI and S-Video)
    I may also use it with Commodore 64 and Amiga in the future, which I think use S-Video, but I'm not sure.

HD is welcome, but absolutely not necessary. I also want to be able to edit the videos on my computer afterwards.

So, does anyone know a Capture Card/Device that can do this with the least amount of converters possible? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There always the HD-PVR and HD-PVR 2 and Rocket have Composite/ S-Video/ Component and HDMI

The Nintendo Wii there is a 3rd option with Wii to HDMI Converter
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaraTH View Post
    I may also use it with Commodore 64 and Amiga in the future, which I think use S-Video, but I'm not sure.

HD is welcome, but absolutely not necessary. I also want to be able to edit the videos on my computer afterwards.

So, does anyone know a Capture Card/Device that can do this with the least amount of converters possible? Thanks in advance!
    Capturing from older video game consoles is challenging, from what I have read about it. I have seen recommendations for the Startech.com PEXHDCAP from people who do it, although they must sometimes use converters too, and it only captures uncompressed video, which the PC has to encode.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007U5MGBE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722
    http://www.videogameperfection.com/2012/07/25/startech-pexhdcap-capture-card-review-added/

However, there are certainly newer capture cards that are going to be easier to use for capturing from HDMI or analog component on modern consoles and PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately if it's old gear you want to include then you have to have as part of your kit a converter box.

This is the one I have which includes upscale output

Iv'e had it for a while and it's been a decent performer without issues
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!