VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have recorded some PAL tv shows on a standalone dvd recorder. I would like to ripp them to h264 mp4 files, so I can upload them on youtube (480p).

I tried the following programs: Vidcoder, Handbrake and Media Coder Web Edition.

I played a little bit with the settings and while the results look decent, I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right.

For example, do I really need to enable the anamorphic option in Vidcoder and Handbrake? I just turned it off, because I dont really understand why would I need it. Did I do wrong?

The dvd's are in PAL 720:576. There are black bars on the side, which Vidcoder and Handbrake can automatically crop quite well. But this is confusing to me, because after the cropping the picture is not 720:576 anymore.

Since the material is not HD, 640x480 on youtube would be OK for me, but how to do it properly? With automatic cropping turned ON and "keep aspect ratio" turned ON, it gives me 640:490.

I forced 640x480 with "keep aspect ratio" OFF and auto cropping ON and the result looks fine, but does that mean that I shrunk the picture? It does not look distorted, but still, I'd like to do everything properly.

The original frame rate is 25 fps, but for some reason I got better results when I converted to 29,97.

Then I tried Media Coder Web Edition. While the good side it's that it allows me to ripp certain part of the dvd (by specifying hours: min: sec ), it does not change the frame rate, though I choose 29,97 fps.

Vidcoder and Handbrake also allow you to manually set the time in h: m: s , but for some reason it wont begin to work. It only works if I choose chapters (e.g. ripp from chapter 3 till chapter 10).

Note also that the dvd's are interlaced, so I used the decomb filter (fast preset) to get rid of those artifacts in Vidcoder and Handbrake or the YADIF deinterlacing in Media Coder. They all work well, at least it looks to me so.

Please advice me how to do everything properly to achieve optimal results.

Thank you.
    Last edited by vabas; 24th Aug 2014 at 17:11. Reason: unwanted smileys
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by vabas View Post
    I forced 640x480 with "keep aspect ratio" OFF and auto cropping ON and the result looks fine, but does that mean that I shrunk the picture?
    No, if it's a 4:3 show you capped, then 640x480 is what you want. After all, you said you wanted 480p for YouTube. There's no 576p for YouTube and it'll still get 'shrunk' back down to 480p. Unless maybe you want to upsize it to 720p.
    The original frame rate is 25 fps, but for some reason I got better results when I converted to 29,97.
    I doubt that, unless there's something screwy with your source. 'Better results' how? A short sample might help to figure it out.

Note also that the dvd's are interlaced
    You saw the interlacing with your eyes? Or you're relying on some app that tells you it was encoded as interlaced?

I use none of the programs you mentioned so there may be others that can help also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Manono: No, if it's a 4:3 show you capped, then 640x480 is what you want. After all, you said you wanted 480p for YouTube. There's no 576p for YouTube and it'll still get 'shrunk' back down to 480p. Unless maybe you want to upsize it to 720p.
    True, but the black bars on the side are confusing me. Once the program removes them, the picture is no longer 720x576 because the black bars are counted as part of the width.

I'll give you an example: Lets say that you have a 640x480 video with black bars on the side. Let's say that each of the black bars is 15 pixels wide. The autocrop will remove them, but then the video without them will be 610x480.

Now, if you force 610x480 to become 640x480 with "keep aspect ratio" OFF, I guess that the program will stretch the width for 30 pixels, while the height will remain the same. That's distorting the picture.

Or maybe the auto crop option will take care of that? This is so confusing for me.

In the example I just gave you, there was stretching, but in other cases there may be shrinking. It all depends on the black bars and the way the autocrop is deleting them.

Perhaps I should:

a) Manually crop the width and the height until I get 4:3 ratio
    b) Turn off any cropping and use the video as it is with the black bars, cause they are counted as part of the picture.

I doubt that, unless there's something screwy with your source. 'Better results' how? A short sample might help to figure it out.
    I don't know why, but 29,97 fps looked better to me. It's a spoken word program so I followed the movements of the speaker's lips and the sound, it just looked better with 29,97 fps.

How is this possible, when the original has 25 fps? It's weird. Seems that with 29,97 fps there's more movement. Maybe it's just my perception.

I also still don't understand do I need that "anamorphic" option. This is a tv program, not a movie made for cinema.

You saw the interlacing with your eyes? Or you're relying on some app that tells you it was encoded as interlaced?
    Yes it was visible but its removed by using the decomb or the deinterlace filters.
    Last edited by vabas; 24th Aug 2014 at 19:06. Reason: adding a reply
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vabas View Post
    I'll give you an example: Lets say that you have a 640x480 video with black bars on the side. Let's say that each of the black bars is 15 pixels wide. The autocrop will remove them, but then the video without them will be 610x480.
    But that's not what you have. You're starting with a 720x576 PAL 4:3 video. Why make an apples to oranges comparison? And you have 30 columns of pixels to crop away? Anyway, earlier you said:
    Originally Posted by vabas View Post
    I forced 640x480 with "keep aspect ratio" OFF and auto cropping ON and the result looks fine,
    In the example I just gave you, there was stretching, but in other cases there may be shrinking. It all depends on the black bars and the way the autocrop is deleting them.
    That's right. In some cases when there's a lot of black to crop away you'll have to crop additionally from the top and bottom to minimize the aspect error before resizing to 640x480, if you're a stickler for such things. And since you're not prepared to upload a short sample then...

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!