VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am 32yrs old and I still use my old 19" Philips tube TV and the TV is like about 10-12 or 10-13 years ago. I have a Philips DVP3140 and I purchase that 5-6 years ago. My DVD Player does NOT at all whatsoever support playback for any type of DL discs. The formats it does support is below. This TV and DVD Player does not support HDMI. It's mono only where I pass it to my receiver for audio to at least get stereo for audio. It's via RCA cables. It does not support S-video. What is a good brand and model for a DVD Player?

Looking in your leaflet here: http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp3140_37/dvp3140_37_pss_aenus.pdfPlayback I found these as the playback media supported by this player: CD, CD-R/CD-RW, Video CD/SVCD, DVD, DivX, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD-Video
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other than DVD +R DL playback and a composite connection what other features are important to you? You may have to do without something because there are probably no current DVD players that have every feature someone could want.

For example, what if I found a DVD player that listed DVD +R DL and DVD -R DL as supported media and has a composite connection, but can't play video files of any kind, does not convert from PAL to NTSC for NTSC TVs, cannot be hacked for all-region playback, and likely includes Cinavia detection. Would you be happy with that? I suspect not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I could do without Blu-Ray and without Cinavia Protection because my TV will not support Blu-Ray/MKV/or any other HD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It needs to have those RCA connector jacks because my TV only uses RCA.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rocky12 View Post
    I could do without Blu-Ray and without Cinavia Protection because my TV will not support Blu-Ray/MKV/or any other HD.
    Good to know, but I wasn't planning on recommending a Blu-Ray player to a guy who has an old analog TV.

Do you ever play DivX files? Some DVD players don't include the feature.

Do you have any DVDs that are not Region 1 or Region 0 or contain PAL video? Some Philips DVD players can be hacked to play all regions and can convert video from PAL to NTSC so you can watch the video on your NTSC TV. Some other brands include no models that would allow you to do that.

Cinavia is not just for Blu-Ray. Some people are so concerned about it that they would be reluctant to buy a DVD player made by Sony, since Sony is the main proponent of Cinavia. It is refreshing to find someone who is not overly concerned about that possibility.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hardly ever use DivX/XviD, and SVCD/VCD these days. I usually play all DVDs, and I play region 1 only and I am in the USA so I always playback region 1 NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony DVPSR210 has composite video and stereo audio, and lists DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL as supported. http://store.sony.com/dvd-player-zid27-DVPSR210P/cat-27-catid-All-Blu-ray-and-DVD-Players

Best Buy sells it, but you should check local availability. Other brick and mortar stores may have it too. Amazon sells it as well.

It won't play DivX or other kinds of video files, and the specs don't say it converts PAL video to NTSC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Aug 2014 at 13:24. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I bought Philips DVD players from that time and I am HIGHLY skeptical that Philips would sell one that can't play DL media, whether they advertise it or not. Now it might have problems with low quality DL media, which means everything not made by Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Around that time I bought a Philips DVD player that was just about the first commercial player to support Divx. I don't remember the name of it, but it played DVD+R DL fine. I have a vague memory that it may have had problems with DVD-R DL discs, but I don't have many of those and the player died years ago and was thrown out. But good quality Verbatim DVD+R DL discs really should work in the Philips no matter what it lists.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I bought Philips DVD players from that time and I am HIGHLY skeptical that Philips would sell one that can't play DL media, whether they advertise it or not. Now it might have problems with low quality DL media, which means everything not made by Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Around that time I bought a Philips DVD player that was just about the first commercial player to support Divx. I don't remember the name of it, but it played DVD+R DL fine. I have a vague memory that it may have had problems with DVD-R DL discs, but I don't have many of those and the player died years ago and was thrown out. But good quality Verbatim DVD+R DL discs really should work in the Philips no matter what it lists.
    To be honest I have never tried DVD+R DL media with any DVD player. I only use single-layer media (DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD+RW) for authored DVDs, so I can't say if support for dual-layer media is generally good, even without any mention of dual layer in the spec. However, if the specs list it, it should work.

...but yes, if the dual layer DVD media isn't good quality, or it wasn't burned correctly, that would prevent the discs from playing.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!