VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I download videos from twitch.tv. The videos are in .flv
    I get a lot of corrupted videos. And when I say corrupted, I mean most media players including both my video editors (VideoPad and PowerDirector) will not play these files, or will not play them all the way.
    However, these files will play in GOM Player. They will play from start to finish, display the correct duration, perfect A/V sync, and allows me to skip and search, i.e. they work fine in GOM Player.

It is important to me that I be able to edit these files in PowerDirector.
    I've used a few video converters, and they either lock up and won't convert the corrupted video, or they will convert/transcode only the first few minutes, just like my two video editors do when I try to convert these corrupted videos.
    I used one program that claimed it could “fix” corrupt FLV files, and all it did was break it so that nothing could play it.
    Another program I used was supposed to fix either timestamps or metadata, and it succeeded in marking the video as infinite length, which caused PowerDirector to crash upon importing.

Re-downloading the video doesn't help, apparently the “corruption” is on the Twitch server.

Any ideas on how to remedy this, at least make the files able to be converted to something else?
    Is it just a matter of going through every free video converter I can find and trying it out? Should I spend more time looking for metadata and time stamp editors and trying to figure out how all that works?
    Any advice is welcome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They're not corrupted, they are just FLV files. FLV files have always been a "pain in the a§§"....period.
    I used to use (name redacted) to convert FLV to uncompressed AVI, then edit them, but I'm not even going to mention
    the software's name because nowadays it is a trojan, virus filled piece of crap.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hech54, if it's not against the forum rules, can you tell me what program it is that is now a virus, so I can avoid downloading it? At least tell me if it is one of the converters recommended on the list in this forum?

I just got one of those videos converted with WinFF. It works, but converts slowly. It took at least twice as long to convert the file as the file takes to play. On my machine, using PowerDierector, it normally takes half as long to converter a video as it does to play. So this converts 4 times slower. So instead of taking me 4 hours to convert 8 hours of video, it will take me 16.
    But at least I have established it's just a matter of finding the right converting program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might be this horror.
    At least they warn you that if you are daft enough to accept it you will be infested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	4506
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	27038
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RB_Kandy View Post
    I just got one of those videos converted with WinFF. It works
    Then use it. It's a fantastic program with MANY other uses as well.

Originally Posted by RB_Kandy View Post
    So this converts 4 times slower. So instead of taking me 4 hours to convert 8 hours of video, it will take me 16.
    A small price to pay. Re-encoding takes time, especially with FLV crap.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've converted .flv to xvid with avidemux lots of times. It's a very good encoder. The only thing it's ever choked on is .wmv files with the old Microsoft VC-1 codec.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If winff is working for you, you can probably configure it to use faster encoding settings
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually, I discovered a few things.
    1. Winff was converting very slowly because the original file size was 1280 (or something like that) and I was saving it as 1920. It was sizing the picture bigger.
    2. The whole video wasn't saved. Apparently I was mistaking.
    I've tried Replay Media Catcher 5, and attempted to fix duration. It says the video duration is only 10.40 (the video is actually 24.26 duration).
    I've tried handbrake and a few other converters, all of them want to save the video at 10.40.
    I used FLVMDI and here is what it tells me (more or less)
    "42% done
    Tag data truncated. End of data encountered.
    Finished."

I left out all the 1% done, 2% done etc.
    And of course saves the new file at 10.40 in duration.

So the problem seems to be a premature end of data.

I tried using YAMDI, and after playing around forever with the command line (I seriously hate command lines) I completely give up. I don't know what the program is doing, has done, if anything. I just know I kept altering the command line data until it stopped telling me my commands were wrong.

I discovered GOM makes a converter. I figured if the player could play it, maybe the converter can convert it. No. It just locks up and tells me the source file might be corrupted (and the converter is just stupid in adition to that. Like it only lets you save to weird formats).

Any suggestions on how to fix that missing data that seems to make players stop reading at the 42% mark (10.40 minutes) would be appreciated.

Like I said, GOM player will play the full 24.26 video.
    I have split the file with FLV extractor, and attached is the txt file output

PS. Hoser Rob, I already tried Avidemux it also tells me the duration is only 10.40 minutes.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run it through MKVmergegui and it will repack it into an MKV in seconds, no reencoding, but makes a new header, metadata, etc. and a lot easier to handle than FLV. The video in FLV is usually AVC, same as in most "native" MKV, though MKV accommodates just about any codec.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 25th Aug 2014 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Timecodes are fine, 29.97 CFR

How are you downloading the videos ? Why are they corrupted in the first place ? Maybe try a better downloading method /software ?

If the MKV rewrap doesn't work or powerdirector "barfs" on MKV's, you can try re-wrapping to MP4 (mymp4boxgui, yamb) or transport stream instead (tsmuxer)

GOM is a directshow player, and players often have error correction or skip over some errors. But you can try encoding it through directshow (e.g. avisynth DirectShowSource, or maybe vdub directshow driver)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a short video you can post to try it in an improved version utility? I have had great success using YAMDi , FLVMDI, FLV Meta, and FLVMeta built into it and very rarely have to do a hex edit to fix.
    Name:  ScreenHunter_82 Aug. 25 11.46.jpg
Views: 7688
Size:  41.1 KBName:  ScreenHunter_81 Aug. 25 11.46.jpg
Views: 7615
Size:  47.6 KB
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!