VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm using DVDFab 9.0 to rip DVDs to XVID AVIs.

When I set a bitrate of 2500 in the AVI XVID profile, (which should result in a file of around around 1800 MB), the output file is never bigger than 1200 MB, with a bitrate of around 1600.

Is there some limit on the size of XVID AVIs? If so, why allow the slider to set a 2500 bitrate?

If I set the AVI profile to use the H.264 codec, the 2500 file bitrate is produced correctly, but that takes twice as long and I have a lot of DVDs to rip.

My BluRay won't play the MKVs and MP4s that DVDFab produces.

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could use a different program for the conversions. I use VidCoder (GUI for handbrake) for my mp4 conversions. An mkv/mp4 will have better quality than an avi of the same file size. Just a matter of finding the file specs supported by your player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Just a matter of finding the file specs supported by your player.
    Many thanks for the reply.

I tried ripping to MP4 using the MPEG4 codec, rather than the default H.264 that creates an unplayable file.

The results were very good and very fast for the two films I ripped, which is great, thanks!

But I'm having problems trying to rip DVDs of TV programmes.

I've never been able to get my head around resolutions and the TV rips are rectangles that sit in the middle of the screen and need zooming.

What res should I set DVDFab to?

There are the specs:

DVD 1

(Detected by DVDFab as: 720x540)

PowerDVD Specs:

Video Attributes:
    Video compression mode: MPEG-2
    TV system: 625/50 (PAL)
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Display Mode: Only Letterbox
    Source picture resolution: 720x576 (625/50)
    Frame Rate: 25.00
    Source picture letterboxed: Not letterboxed
    Bitrate: 5.58Mbps
    ===========

DVD 2

(Detected by DVDFab as: 720x540)

PowerDVD Specs:

Video Attributes:
    Video compression mode: MPEG-2
    TV system: 625/50 (PAL)
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Display Mode: Only Letterbox
    Source picture resolution: 720x576 (625/50)
    Frame Rate: 25.00
    Source picture letterboxed: Not letterboxed
    Bitrate: 5.93Mbps
    ====================

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Ripper13; 24th Aug 2014 at 17:35. Reason: Yes
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't use DVDFab but sometimes the maximum quality doesn't require a very high bitrate, At least for Xvid. It's possible the bitrate you specified is sometimes more than the bitrate required for maximum quality.

Mind you DVDFab is fine for ripping but doesn't have a reputation for quality re-encoding. You might be better off "ripping only" with DVDFab and re-encoding with something else, but the whole re-encoding process is one which can take some time to master (in respect to resizing, quality, de-interlacing etc) so it'd depend how much work you want to put into it.

I'd re-encode using the h264 encoder, Unless whatever h264 encoder DVDFab uses it particularly crappy it should be better than Xvid.

You might need to post the MediaInfo for a file which plays and one which doesn't so others can look for reasons for some not playing while some do. For h264 encoding, most players support High Profile, Level 4.1. If you can specify that, your encoded video should be playable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, I use VidCoder for all conversions. I've never tried using DVDFab for anything but RIPping the DVD.

Having said that, you shouldn't need to "set" the resolution. Use AUTO or leave it unchanged. For best quality, especially on a large screen TV, you will want the resolution as high as possible (ie: identical to source).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Again, I use VidCoder for all conversions. I've never tried using DVDFab for anything but RIPping the DVD.

Having said that, you shouldn't need to "set" the resolution. Use AUTO or leave it unchanged. For best quality, especially on a large screen TV, you will want the resolution as high as possible (ie: identical to source).
    Correct DVDFab should only be used for ripping/copying the movie. I never recommend using DVDFab for encoding/transcoding. A lot of people are trusting VidCoder when they can just use the original script from Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!