VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    A newbie here.

I have a m2ts file sent to me by a friend that I cannot play. I have tried using various player, AnyDVD HD, Cyberlink DVD, vlc, etc. but no luck. It says it does not support the file. I also tried to convert it but it cannot be loaded.

It was a file that comes from a video, recorded in an HDD of Blu-Ray Recorder where he copied it from the HDD of the Blu-ray to his PC. The blu-ray recorder is Sony Blu-Ray Recorder model BDZ-AT950W.

I actually do not know if he did the copying of file correctly but he said he can play the video using Cyberlink DVD so I used it too but no luck.

So I have a few questions.

1. Is there a way that I can play this m2ts video? Aside from using those players?

2. How to know if the m2ts file is not corrupted? I look at the file description and it only indicates its a M2ts file, no length of videos or any other infos so I am thinking it might be broken.

3. In copying files from HDD of Sony Blu-Ray recorder, how to do it? I only see ripping of videos from Blu-ray disc but I am already getting dizzy and I haven't found how to copy from HDD of blu-ray recorder to PC. I was thinking he did the copying wrong that is why the m2ts is not playing.

I am relatively new at this stuffs. Please really need help on playing said m2ts file.

Thank you!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most recorders don't record in a "clear" format. The file often has encryption (ie: copy protection). So copying the files off typically does not work. As Sony is very strict about copy protection, this is likely the cause in this case. You typically need to play the file in real time and capture on a PC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Most recorders don't record in a "clear" format. The file often has encryption (ie: copy protection). So copying the files off typically does not work. As Sony is very strict about copy protection, this is likely the cause in this case. You typically need to play the file in real time and capture on a PC.
    Can you please tell me how are we suppose to do real-time capture? We haven't done it before so I do not have any idea what are the things we need. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a stand alone recorder like a dvd recorder then it won't have any encryption.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about posting a MediaInfo report on the file? That would help a lot to work out what is happening...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Here is the MediaInfo screenshot. Hmmm... why no info? Maybe its because its copyrighted? This is copied directly from the HDD of the Sony Blu-ray recorder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	27036
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!