VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm running Linux and interested in an alternative for Imgburn for burning .iso files to a DVD.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn reportedly works fine through WINE.

I've run it myself, through WINE, and it seemed to work without issue - though I didn't actually try to burn anything with it.

Here's the WineHQ test report page for Imgburn, if you want to see others' tests of it.
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=4625
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks I'll check it out. I want to try to shy away from Wine as running programs in it can be a security vulnerability.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I work as a Linux system administrator. So what I have to say might be worth considering.

Look, Wine is no worse than running Windows itself. There were some proof of concept things a few years ago where it was possible to get a Windows virus via Wine, but it was pretty convoluted. I run Windows 7 on my main PC at home. Why? Windows is where the tools are. I wouldn't worry about "security problems" through Wine. If you want to run ImgBurn you either have to use Wine or setup up a Windows VM to run it in. Again, I make my living working on Linux and I don't share those concerns.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I work as a Linux system administrator. So what I have to say might be worth considering.

Look, Wine is no worse than running Windows itself. There were some proof of concept things a few years ago where it was possible to get a Windows virus via Wine, but it was pretty convoluted. I run Windows 7 on my main PC at home. Why? Windows is where the tools are. I wouldn't worry about "security problems" through Wine. If you want to run ImgBurn you either have to use Wine or setup up a Windows VM to run it in. Again, I make my living working on Linux and I don't share those concerns.
    I'm also a sys admin, though this is my first gig out of school and I am pretty new to Linux. I suppose I could always use Brasero, it's just that Imgburn is more familiar to me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
    I'm also a sys admin, though this is my first gig out of school and I am pretty new to Linux. I suppose I could always use Brasero, it's just that Imgburn is more familiar to me.
    With all due respect, no system administrator in the world would be asking such questions. And not even say which distro or desktop they're using. You're not going to fool the people who have answered you.

K3b is probably the most powerful linux disc burner, though it'll install a whack of KDE dependencies, which some don't like. It makes running autoremove more problematic, though I don't use that. I have a ton of KDE things on my xubuntu setup because I like dolphin so much, and have never had any problems.

I don't bother with running Wine. It's too unreliable, and I still keep a windows 7 partition for tools I can't get for Linux. Though actually dvdfab hd decrypter is the only one at this point. Running Windows in a VM would be better than using wine.

While Wine is problematic, and it can definitely be a security problem, that's going to happen with programs that access the internet. Unless you get a bad copy of the imgburn installer that's not an issue. Sysadmins know this stuff ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    With all due respect, no system administrator in the world would be asking such questions. And not even say which distro or desktop they're using. You're not going to fool the people who have answered you.

K3b is probably the most powerful linux disc burner, though it'll install a whack of KDE dependencies, which some don't like. It makes running autoremove more problematic, though I don't use that. I have a ton of KDE things on my xubuntu setup because I like dolphin so much, and have never had any problems.

I don't bother with running Wine. It's too unreliable, and I still keep a windows 7 partition for tools I can't get for Linux. Though actually dvdfab hd decrypter is the only one at this point. Running Windows in a VM would be better than using wine.

While Wine is problematic, and it can definitely be a security problem, that's going to happen with programs that access the internet. Unless you get a bad copy of the imgburn installer that's not an issue. Sysadmins know this stuff ...
    Did you see the part where I mentioned this is my first gig out of school? No wonder nobody posts on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you see the part where I mentioned this is my first gig out of school? No wonder nobody posts on this forum.
    There does tend to be a fair amount of "dick measuring" around here. I'm guilty of it myself when I'm in the mood. People LOVE to go on and on about their vast knowledge of things that 90% of sane people don't give a sh!t about (like Linux), but hey.....you'll get an answer and the correct answer if you sift through the egos.

Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    There does tend to be a fair amount of "dick measuring" around here. I'm guilty of it myself when I'm in the mood. People LOVE to go on and on about their vast knowledge of things that 90% of sane people don't give a sh!t about (like Linux), but hey.....you'll get an answer and the correct answer if you sift through the egos.

+1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wait a minute, don't go kicking around Linux. I like Linux very much thank you.

I can't answer this because it's been a long time since I've burned any disk, be it CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray. Imgburn is over rated in my opinion anyway. The only reason I use it, is for burning Blu-Ray and that's because I keep it set for UDF 2.5. There are burning tools in Linux that I'm quite sure can burn whatever you want provided you give them the correct settings.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running Linux and interested in an alternative for Imgburn for burning .iso files to a DVD.

Thanks.
    ISO (image) files can be burned by any burning s/w. Brasero should be more than capable of that simple task..............
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn via wine on ubuntu ... no problems here

All this required was a simple answer by someone who actually runs the applications and could have provided a straight answer.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Imgburn via wine on ubuntu ... no problems here

All this required was a simple answer by someone who actually runs the applications and could have provided a straight answer.
    I did tell him that I consider his "security concerns" to be overblown and mentioned that I run Windows at home and I make my living working with Linux. I also told him he had to run it either under Windows or Wine. If that's not simple enough, OK, but I did feel that his concerns needed addressing and you didn't do that.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!