VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I have a .ts file from a TV Capture and I need to make an encode to .mkv

I use Handbrake 0.9.9
    The audio source is mp2. How can I keep the original audio without encoding to .ac3 or .aac?

Media Info:

Audio
    ID : 4112 (0x1010)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Codec ID : 4
    Duration : 1h 28mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -64ms
    Stream size : 244 MiB (4%)
    Language : English
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Handbrake supposedly supports pass-through, so that's what you'd use.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I know that Handbrake supports pass-through, but I can't find which is for mp2.
    Which one from the Codec list should I use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HandbrakeAudioTab.png
Views:	822
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	27010
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try Auto Passthru
    Quote Quote  
  5. Auto Passthru is encoding the audio to AAC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You could always replace the audio later using MKVMerge GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of re-encoding it just use mkvmerge to mux it straight to mkv unless you need to play it on a restricted player such as a roku 3.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The audio source has a Delay relative to video : -64ms.
    At warning tab of MKVMerge GUI says:

Warning: 'C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\file.ts' track 1: This MPEG audio track contains 384 bytes of non-MP3 data which were skipped. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.

How can adjust this to the output file?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fatammag View Post
    You can either remove the delay entirely before muxing using DelayCut or, in MKVMergeGUI, highlight the audio (make it dark), hit the 'Format Specific Options' tab, and set that same delay
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Instead of re-encoding it just use mkvmerge to mux it straight to mkv unless you need to play it on a restricted player such as a roku 3.
    I know that way. I prefer this only if I have a BluRay movie.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can either remove the delay entirely before muxing using DelayCut or, in MKVMergeGUI, highlight the audio (make it dark), hit the 'Format Specific Options' tab, and set that same delay
    In MKVMergeGUI I choose which track I need, and then I'm pressing Start Muxing?
    Or should I choose for all tracks, from the Extra Options tab Compress: None?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by fatammag View Post
    I choose which track I need, and then I'm pressing Start Muxing?
    Or should I choose for all tracks, from the Extra Options tab Compress: None?
    I thought I was pretty clear the first time. Me, I'd use DelayCut to remove the delay entirely (assuming there really is one, of which I'm not convinced). But, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Afterwards start muxing:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MKVMergeGUI.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	27011  

Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you manono!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by fatammag View Post
    The audio source has a Delay relative to video : -64ms.
    At warning tab of MKVMerge GUI says:

Warning: 'C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\file.ts' track 1: This MPEG audio track contains 384 bytes of non-MP3 data which were skipped. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.

Some programs can use non-audio data instead of a delay when muxing. Or they tend to add junk data. I think VirtualDubMod is one of them. When you open the audio with MKVMergeGUI it removes any junk data and applies an appropriate audio delay instead. For 384 bytes I think it'd probably be close to a 20ms delay. It's not a bad thing. It's keeping the audio/video sync unchanged.

You'll probably find if the audio source was muxed while specifying a delay of -64ms, MKVMergeGUI would (in theory) remove the junk data and then the delay would be something like -44ms, but the MKV spec doesn't allow for negative delays, so MKVMergeGUI would remove as close to 44ms as it can from the beginning of the audio, and apply a small delay to make up any difference (the amount removed can rarely be exact). You might end up with something like a 15ms delay relative to the video (as an example). MKVMergeGUI tends to know what it's doing.

Applying a negative delay when muxing by removing an appropriate amount from the beginning of the audio is pretty standard and rarely a bad thing (it's generally silence anyway). The alternative is not to apply a negative audio delay, but use a positive video delay when muxing instead. MediaInfo will display it as a negative audio delay though, even though technically it's not.

PS If you open a video with MKVMergeGUI and the audio within already has a delay, you shouldn't need to specify it. For example, if you open the encoded video, the original TV capture, deselect the original video stream and save the encoded video and original audio as an MKV that way, the original audio delay (-64ms in your case) should be accounted for. If you also specify a -64ms audio delay, you'll probably end up applying a -128ms audio delay. You should only need to specify the audio delay yourself if you extract it from the original file and add it to the muxing job as an individual stream.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 24th Aug 2014 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!