VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Windows or Roxio will not burn the image that encore had made because: THE FILE SIZE IS 260 MB TOO BIG. But why? I burned these same files before and made a slight change to the credits, deleted a menu and also added some buttons to the two other. The Automatic compression seems to be working but something is not being compressed.

The build size is 24.99 with 12.75 free which creates an image size of 23,932,352KB. Apparently you need some 23.8 GB max to start the burn.

The Default Transcode setting are:
    Max audio/video bitrate 15.0 Mbps
    H.264
    1920x1080p
    upper field
    Dolby Digital

Since the Auto bitrate is set to 15.0Mbps that's seems to be the lowest file size I can set with out using another preset.

How can I shave off 260 MB when everything is on automatic with Encore.
    Quote Quote  
  2. First, see if imgburn also thinks the files are too big.
    Second, make sure you actually deleted the material you replaced by deleting it from the project and cleaning out the cache (Edit/Preferences/Media)
    Third, you can manually change the transcode settings by right clicking on your clip under Blu Ray Transcode settings.

Normally, Encore also gives you a warning if you try to build your image too large.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, Encore says the build will be 24.99 and the burning program said it only wants 23.8 GB. The actual image file is 23.9 unlike the but size reported by Encore. Since only 23.8 is allowed (by both windows burn program and Roxio) I guess it really is too big. But the question is why is Encore making it just 260 mb too big?Click image for larger version

Name:	14-8-21 files too big for disc.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	26995
    Quote Quote  
  4. TOTAL
    Total size- 9,373,926KB or 8.939GB
    Total Time- 3 hours 2 minutes 41 seconds
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by RonCz View Post
    TOTAL
    Total size- 9,373,926KB or 8.939GB
    Total Time- 3 hours 2 minutes 41 seconds
    ?? I thought you said it was ~24GB ??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    First, see if imgburn also thinks the files are too big.
    If it was me, I would have tried this good suggestion and only then worried about the other stuff that the OP seems completely unable to get past.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So if your total runtime = 10961 sec (aka 03:02:41 as mentioned above), you should have:

Filesize = bitrate * runtime, or Bitrate = Filesize / Runtime

which works out to: 23.3GiB = 190873.6Mbits. 190873.6 / 10961 = 17.41 Mbps. If your Encore encodings are TRULY compressing to 15Mbps average, you shouldn't be having trouble. So you need to see WHICH segment(s) are not compressing correctly. (or if you aren't counting certain material)

First thing I would do is STOP using simple default/auto templates. Learn about your assets and manually TAILOR them to your project. Better to encode/compress PRIOR to authoring, then you set Encore to NOT re-compress when compiling.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. I also noticed the H.264 files I brought in were 23.97 but the project is set to 29.97 frames per second.
    I just looked at DVD-HQ and did not know how to apply the setting to the manual.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD-HQ setting.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	871.3 KB
ID:	27003
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In your picture, DVD-HQ's suggested settings are right on the money, and Encore's settings are way too high (25Mbps is set target, instead of 15 or 17). Plus, I note, you are using 1passVBR, which is always unpredictable as to what the final ABR and filesize will actually end up being.

In Encore, once you are in "Custom", you should be able to manually adjust things. So make:
    VBR=2pass
    MinBR=~2Mbps
    Target (Avg)BR=15 - 17Mbps
    Peak (Max)BR = 40Mbps (not ~29, you're just limiting your PQ possibilities that way).
    Also "Use Maximum Render Quality", unless otherwise specified (same comment).

...or use a separate encoder prior to authoring, as previously mentioned (e.g. MeGUI/x264)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh that was just a preset I was going to redesign. I am acutally working with automatict setting which I am not sure what bitrate they are using. Here is what I could find.

Name:	Encore Automatic Default Settings.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	27004
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just Ignore automatic setting Of Encore
    Create new preset with CBR 14 Mbps and save it,
    you source files is MP4 with 6 Mbps bitrate anyway,

Name:	01.png
Views:	338
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	27006

Select video and change preset you saved to 14 Mbps
    if you don't have option to change preset, right click on video in project list and select Revert to original

Name:	Clipboard-1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	27008
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are wasting precious quality if you choose CBR. Use 2passVBR for best quality for a given bitrate.

Yes, you should have the option to change the preset - I just tried it and it works fine. Just create & save a NEW preset.

Again, stop working with the AUTOMATIC setting.

@roma_turok, it doesn't matter what the source files' current bitrate is if it isn't Blu-ray compliant (which it isn't: 1080p60 - AVCHD 2.0). It will have to be recompressed anyway.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @roma_turok, it doesn't matter what the source files' current bitrate is if it isn't Blu-ray compliant (which it isn't: 1080p60 - AVCHD 2.0). It will have to be recompressed anyway.

Scott
    I don't said, it don't need reencoding
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    True, but the way you said it left it open to misinterpretation (like: maybe it's low enough BR already to not need re-encoding). Red herring.

@RonCz,
    23.976 vs. 29.97 doesn't really affect the bitrate at all (just the quality for that bitrate). If ALL your files are 23.976, set your project to be the same, otherwise you are making things more difficult.

From that first pic, it looks like Encore doesn't have enough scratch HDD space with which to compile the BD folders/discimage. Fix that problem so it can compile correctly, while making sure that you have the correct target disc size (BD-R SL), and I bet Encore will now correctly tell you if your assets are too large for the disc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks for all you answers, I have been video most of the week and now I am back to solving this blue ray burn.

I made a mistake with the total time; I am trying to burn 4 hours which I have done already with a working ISO file of 21.3 GB but without the credits so I had to redo. When I redo it comes out higher with default project setting.

This time I made quick Time Reference files, I imported just the .mov files and not the wave files. Using auto and changing to 50 GB Bly ray disc image I see the file size is 26.55 GB with 23.45 GB freeClick image for larger version

Name:	14-8-29 preset-notes.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	27162

I then made a manual preset of VBR 2 pass, 11 mbps & then 12 mbps the last is 21.8 GB and I only have 800 MB left on the disc. However the quality is very patchy

What can I do to improve the quality? Remember I al ready have a successful burn of these files.
    Quote Quote  
  16. From screenshot you convert to Format MPEG2 Blu-ray
    Change on top, format to H264 Blu-ray,
    H264 supposed better quality
    make test on 5min video

edit:
    and the preview window in Adobe Media Encoder not supposed preview quality after encode.

Also you down resolution from 1080p to 720p:

Name:	14-8-29 preset-notes2.png
Views:	742
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	27165
    Last edited by roma_turok; 30th Aug 2014 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Trying a number of settings with a 5 minutes test however I could not come up with a combination that produced any quality. This last setting I went up to 15 mbps and still was blotchy, along with 14mbps, 13 mbps, I must be doing something very wrong. attached is the preset I used. I finally decided to give the client a 50 GB disc and call it quits. Thanks for trying and offering so much help.

Name:	14-8-31 H.264 target 15 and 30 max lower field.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	27198
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!