VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Got around ~50 8mm PAL tapes. Need to capture them in digital format for archival (DV format is preferred). After searching I found the following 4 ways:
    1. Capture using Digital8 Camera -> Firewire
    2. Capture using MiniDV Camera (passthru) -> Firewire
    3. Capture using DAC converter (ADVC-100/300 OR AVT-8710) -> ?
    4. Capture using a deck DMR-xxx -> ?

I only got a MiniDV, the other 3 ways need to buy equipment. The question is, whats the absolute BEST way. I tried using MiniDV passthru but the results were not optimum. I got flickering line at the bottom and the image was slightly dark.

Current gear:

8mm
    Sony CCD-TRV35E (got both S-VIDEO and normal video out)

MiniDV
    Sony DCR-TRV22E

MiniDV
    Panasonic NV-DS50

HDD
    Sony DCR-SR200

Flash Drive
    Sony DCR-SX43

Firewire capture card.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by DaMan4x4 View Post
    (DV format is preferred)... I got flickering line at the bottom and the image was slightly dark.
    The flickering at the bottom is almost certainly head switching which is normal on an analogue source. Captured video tends to look darker on a computer monitor than in the camera's viewfinder. This also is completely normal.

Post a screen grab or short sample if you want others to have a look.

If your intent is to end up with DV, using a digital8 camcorder or deck might give better results. Ims assuming you used S-Video rather than composite for your v8->DV camera.

edit: I'm also assuming you are capturing this to computer, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi smrpix,
    I actually used composite -> miniDV (passthru) -> Firewire (PC). So, you believe a digital8 or a deck is the better option. digital8 is more convenient, so if there is not much different in quality I will just go and get myself a digital8. BTW, do I have to buy a PAL digital8?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A firewire "transfer" is always best, and yes you need to use a PAL machine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks hech54, what's the best digital8 PAL camera(s) around?

The following models can play both digital and analog tapes:
    DCR-TRV103
    DCR-TRV120
    DCR-TRV230
    DCR-TRV240
    DCR-TRV310
    DCR-TRV330
    DCR-TRV340
    DCR-TRV350
    DCR-TRV520
    DCR-TRV740
    DCR-TRV830
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I only have a little Canon MiniDV camera....

A firewire transfer is a firewire transfer. It's impossible for one to be "better" than another as far as that goes. I'd imagine the higher model numbers only mean more bells and whistles as far as recording and editing goes. I would not go too crazy if you only plan on using it ~50 times for transfers only and never touching it again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hech54: He isn't playing Digital8 tapes; he is digitizing Video8.

For what it's worth, your list of model numbers is apparently incomplete. I was going to comment that you should make sure you get one with TBC, but according to that all of the models that convert have it.
    Last edited by Brad; 21st Aug 2014 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks again hech54.

Great info vaporeon800, I didn't find DCR-TRV350 in your list although it is supposed to play Hi8/8mm tapes.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    hech54: He isn't playing Digital8 tapes; he is digitizing Video8.
    I know that.
    As long as he finds a machine that is backward compatible to output standard 8mm via firewire......firewire is firewire.
    Those do exist right? I don't remember ever owning any "8mm" equipment simply because all of the different flavors
    of 8mm confused me and pissed me off.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!