VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I successfully imported my wedding footage to Movie Maker (having converted it from VOB files to MP4) and the sound was fine. However, having saved my project, the audio (the original audio and the music I added while editing) seems to have disappeared.

Is there a way to get this back, I'd hate to think the three hours of work hasn't just been rendered useless!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Duvaljones View Post
    (having converted it from VOB files to MP4)
    Why would you do that?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Because the VOB file wouldn't import.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't use Movie Maker, I'm speaking from a quality standpoint.
    Going from your DVD to "MP4" you have lost quality from the original that you will never get back.
    You will lose quality again when you output your final product from Movie Maker.

VOB files from a DVD are simply MPEG2 video wrapped in a VOB container.
    I'd remove the MPEG2 video from the VOB files via something like VOB2MPEG (with no quality loss at all),
    then import that into Movie Maker. SURELY Movie Maker can accept MPEG2? AC3 audio?
    Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Movie Maker can import direct from DVD which is where you must have got the VOB from initially. If you still have the actual DVD then import from that directly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The original footage was converted from tape to DVD. The VOB files wouldn't import to Movie Maker when I tried to import the DVD direct, so I was advised to convert the VOB. It imported ok, it's when I saved my work that the audio disappeared.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Dump Movie Maker. Use VideoPad Video Editor at the very least.
    For any nay sayers of VideoPad, I have used it's output in DVD projects and the results are quite acceptable.
    In addition (dig into the manual) it can use various VirtualDub filters (a few, eg. MSU***,
    can cause it to crash - it's a known bug...just avoid them).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!