VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I extract a subtitle from a MKV using MKVExtract GUI I get a .sup file that has the subtitle formatting, color and font. Is there anything that will allow me to edit the .sup file an retain the original formatting.

Most of the editors I tried save the subtitle as a plain text file, which looses the formatting.

Also is there a way to determine what font is being used, I know it's embedded in the MKV, but I can't seem to determine the font. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    .SUP files are compressed images. Text-based subtitle formats (SSA and SSA) can use embedded fonts.

Most of the editors I tried save the subtitle as a plain text file, which looses the formatting.
    Well, that's what the OCR-capable software are meant to do.
    It's up to you to edit the plain-text output, and later save it as .SSA or re-convert it to .SUP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So there is no way to determine the font type? A movie like Avatar that uses a unique font for the Na'vi portions.

What do I use to save it as a .SSA or re-convert it to a .SUP file? Sorry if this is a n00b question.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a number of online font identifiers that ask questions and narrow the choices for you. Other than that, you may just have to look for something close.

DVDSubEdit can edit DVD .sup files, if that is what you have. I haven't used it in a long time, so I don't recall how good it is.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!