VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. All files I used to test these different YUV formats were created in VirtualDub. The input to VirtualDub was a raw IYUV AVI file output from XMediaRecode (which I also used as a test file for Windows Media Player), where the input to XMediaRecode was an MP4 video file that I ripped from Youtube using a Firefox plugin.

In addition to ordinary raw RGB24 and RGB32 formats (with corresponding FourCCs of RV24 and RV32, though the AVI format header just has the FourCC of "DIB ", and yes that is a space after DIB), Windows comes with codecs that support encoding for the following raw YUV format:
    Planar YUV420 (component order YUV, FourCC IYUV)

And support decoding for the following ray YUV formats:
    Planar YUV420 (component order YUV, FourCC IYUV)

Interleaved YUV422 (component order YUYV, FourCC YUY2 aka YUYV, though WMP only recognizes it if the FourCC in the file is YUY2)

Interleaved YUV422 (component order UYVY, FourCC UYVY)

Luma Plane then Interleaved Chroma Plane YUV420 (chroma component order UV, FourCC NV12)

Planar YUV410 (component order YVU, FourCC YVU9, though decoded in WMP, the resulting image is messed up, which may be a problem with WMP, or with the encoding software)

Planar YUV420 (component order YVU, FourCC YV12)

I420 (supposedly the same as IYUV, and treated the same as IYUV in most programs I've tested it with, Windows Media Player treats it differently, and when it decodes it, it is expecting a different format than the IYUV format, and if the data is in IYUV format and the indicated FourCC is I420, the decoded video will look seriously messed up)

The YUV formats (and associated FourCCs) listed below, that can be output from VirtualDub, are not decoded by Windows Media Player:
    Interleaved YUV422 (component order UYVY, FourCC HDYC appears to be the same data format as UYVY, but Windows Media Player doesn't recognize the coded HDYC)

Planar YUV422 (component order YVU, FourCC YV16)

Planar YUV444 (component order YVU, FourCC YV24)

Unknown YUV422 (component order unknown, FourCC v210)

What I am interested in, is a set of codecs, that permits Windows Media Player to decode all the above mentioned raw YUV formats (these are all the formats of raw YUV that VirtualDub and XMediaRecode are capablie of outputting), as well as the ability for any VFW (Video For Windows) based encoder to output raw YUV video in these formats. What I am NOT looking for is a massive codec pack that supports every form of video compression that has ever been invented in the history of video compression algorithms, such as that ridiculously huge K-Lite Codec Pack, FFDShow, or other similar oversized codec packs. I'm specifically interested in just raw YUV formats.
    Last edited by Videogamer555; 18th Aug 2014 at 02:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you already exclude ffdshow, then you will have to get a bunch of vendor specific codecs instead, only because different graphic and video and capture chipset vendors (ATI, Matrox, Creative, ...) may have invented different FourCCs for technically the same video format. So I doubt you would spare a lot of space in comparison to ffdshow.

The optimum for your case might be a custom ffdshow (or ffvfw) build with disabled compressing video codecs, leaving only color space conversion "codecs" and FourCCs active.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    What I am NOT looking for is a massive codec pack that supports every form of video compression that has ever been invented in the history of video compression algorithms, such as that ridiculously huge K-Lite Codec Pack, FFDShow, or other similar oversized codec packs. I'm specifically interested in just raw YUV formats.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/LAV-Filters

And you don't need to use all codecs - just mark it for RAW YUV and that's all - and always you can create custom build if you have special requirements...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well, LAV Filters are very similar to ffdshow. Nevertheless, the most recommendable multi-codec (not "codec pack"). I just doubt it includes a VfW interface; ffdshow has it (ffvfw).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Well, LAV Filters are very similar to ffdshow.
    Well... as request was kind of large (various FourCC, various formats) at some point seem that this is unavoidable to install such multi-codec solution. I know few different filters for raw YUV but most of them is limited only to small subset or FourCC or formats so anyway at some point multiple filters will be required. Alternative is use libav or ffmpeg or similar solution and pipe (wrap around avi ?).
    Or as You suggested - do own r&d and/or at least compile limited build of ffdshow (see no point).

Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Nevertheless, the most recommendable multi-codec (not "codec pack"). I just doubt it includes a VfW interface; ffdshow has it (ffvfw).
    Yep, i agree and this can be serious limitation under VD so perhaps native RAW YUV support under VD (i mean more than current implementation)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just use ffdshow. Disable all the other decoders if you don't want it to decode them. Just enable the Raw Video decoders.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    ^ possibly in both Decoder Configuration and VFW Codec Configuration.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!