VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I updated my copy of XMediaRecode to version 3.1.9.3 and no longer see the option to control video bitrate, such as when recoding a VOB file to AVI. Did Sebastian dumb down his nice program, or did he just hide it from amateurs, like me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    The only problem with the VOB file to AVI?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vob-xmedia.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	26930
    Quote Quote  
  3. You selected ABR. I thought a constant bitrate could be also be controlled. My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Because MediaInfo identifies the (variable) bitrate of the 1,048,574 byte VOB file as 4129, I selected an "average bitrate" of 4200 in XMedia for the conversion. The file was rendered as 4 GB. So I lowered the ABR in XMedia to 1800, but the AVI is still over 3 GB. I expected the file size to be at least less than 2 GB, since I lowered the bitrate by more than 60%. I tried using the built in "Bitrate Calculator" but could not make any sense of it.

Then I tried AVS Video Converter that also offers an output file size calculator, based on the bitrate setting; but it too is useless. Is there a video converter that offers a reasonably accurate file output size based on bitrate selection in terms of Kbps (not %)? It does not need to be precise... not way off like the two I tried. Maybe there is a formula I could use. I don't mind doing a little math on paper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is better to use the 2-pass mode for more accurate output file size I use VideoCalc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I'll try the video calculator next time, since I finished this project by using an excessively high bitrate in AVS Video Converter then concatenated the files in VirtualDub, after which I used ConvertXtoDVD and finally DVD Shrink to fit the movie on a DVD disk.

I had to use VirtualDub (VD) because AVS Video Converter cannot concatenate video files without causing audio-video asynchrony. (in patches!) AVS converts VOBs to AVI fine, but it fails miserably to preserve AV synchrony when joining 1 GB movie files. Maybe it can handle shorter files, but VD is reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    I had to use VirtualDub (VD) because AVS Video Converter cannot concatenate video files without causing audio-video asynchrony. (in patches!) AVS converts VOBs to AVI fine, but it fails miserably to preserve AV synchrony when joining 1 GB movie files. Maybe it can handle shorter files, but VD is reliable.
    I'm not sure I understand your process or why AVS has that problem, however......

There's always the option not to split vob files into 1 GB segments. Or if they're already split......
    Open the folder full or ripped files with DVDShrink. Use it's re-author function if necessary (if you want just the movie or individual episodes etc). Get DVDShrink to backup your DVD again. Somewhere in DVDShrink's preferences, or maybe it's an option in the window which opens when using the backup function, there's one which lets you choose not to split vob files into 1GB segments. DVDShrink's output should contain a single large vob file for the movie etc.

Of course make sure to disable DVDShrink's compression if you don't want it to shrink while it's backing up, or set the target output size to something large in DVDShrink's preferences so it's not going to try to reduce the size.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you soooooo much for your clear and clever solution to my problem. Your experience shines!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!