VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

How do I eliminate these pesky green flashes I get after rendering my FCPX project? I have Googled this problem, but I've read so many conflicting answers I am significantly confused. I'm also fairly new to video editing.

Ask me whatever specs you need to know and I'll post. I have noticed that these flashes take place where I have either changed compositing opacity or have overlaid a generated shape. The flashes do not occur during in-software playback. I repeated the rendering process and got no difference.

To get you started:
    3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    OS X 10.9.4
    Plenty of HDD space
    FCPX 10.0.9
    Combined input file sizes: 16.85 GB
    Output file size: 20.62 GB
    Average frame rate 23.976
    Output file format: H.264 QuickTime movie
    fcpproject size 1.1MB

What do I need to do?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try rendering out a troubled section with something more stable like ProRes and see if that makes a difference.

If it does, render the whole timeline in ProRes then convert to h.264 with compressor.

The line about Average frame rate implies some of the footage is variable frame rate. Combining that with constant frame rate overlays may be part of the problem -- though FCPX reputedly handles all that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I guessed as much but was hoping someone knew a nifty workaround that didn't involve waiting through an even lengthier rendering process and a huge output file. Still, I sampled a bit of the project at ProRess 422 Proxy and all seemed fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Though sample worked fine 25% into rendering this error appeared:

'The share operation Master File has failed
    The operation could not be completed because an error occurred when creating frame 193569 (error -1).'

This frame is the first of a bladed section in which I have changed the compositing opacity. Funnily enough it was part of the sample rendering and worked fine then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's a mobile chipset, not good for editing. Only good for playback. You need a dedicated graphics card.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Repeating the rendering process with ProRes 422 Proxy has eliminated all but one of the flashes successfully. Not sure what went wrong first time around. I suspect that LT would smooth it out altogether but in the meantime I am happy.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!