VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm new to this site and idk how many people here are into using motion capture for filmmaking, but I was at SIGGRAPH this week and i came across a very cool new motion capture project called Perception Neuron. I was taken aback by the simplicity of the system, it uses tiny sensors that you place on your body and is completely wireless, using WIFI. It can be used for specific body parts of for entire bodies and it has a very fast response time. The kicker of this system was the price though; as cheap as $200 for a 10 sensor pack and $550 for the 30 sensor pack. If you sponsor oculus rift you get the 30 sensor pack for $375. I recommend everyone check out their kickstarter I think it would be really cool if they were able to get this project up and running.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1663270989/project-perception-neuron
    Quote Quote  
  2. The price is amazing

But I wonder how clean the mocap data is ? I didn't see any native unprocessed BVH samples.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    i wouldn't know how to answer that, but if you post a comment on their kickstarter page I do know that they always respond to any questions promptly. Theres a cool reddit post i found too that also peaked my interest about Perception http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2d1l54/let_me_introduce_perception_neuron_a_new_motion/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is borderline commercial spam which isn't allowed here, but it may just barely be of enough use that it will get by.

Yes, I know already what you will say, so let me save you the trouble.

Gasp! You have no ties at all to this product and you are stunned and shocked that anyone would think otherwise. In fact, you are outraged - OUTRAGED I tell you! - at the mere suggestion of such. And also, it's your hobby to join new websites and promote technologies that you have no financial interest in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hey jman98, get a life
    Quote Quote  
  6. jman98 is my hero. He's one of the few that has the guts to say what we all are thinking. Maybe he's wrong on this one but so far I think he is spot on.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    idk who he is or if he's an altruistic reporter or something but that still doesn't make it ok or cool for him to post self-righteous post calling me out on my thread. im not spam. i just thought people on these forums would be interested in the kickstarter, rightly so.

Excuse me if I thought it would help the film community. And if I did have ties? does it make a difference that it's a great product that can be used by all facets of the multi-media industry and he's just calling me out for promoting something relevant to the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If this actually delivers, it is really quite amazing for that price. Factor in not only the price, but also the size, portability and it has great potential

(and no, I don't have anything to do with this product) But there were some 1-2 hit team-up spam combos I've seen here before

Basically with any mocap system, the motion data can have "noise" or jitter and needs to be cleaned or processed before you can use it if you want great results. If the data has lots of jitter, and cleaning cannot be done on the fly in realtime - that sort of reduces the effectiveness of using this in realtime mocap scenarios . But of course, there are many scenarios that don't require real time processing, that you can use the motion data off line at a later stage. One potential issue is the additional latency for the transmission over wifi - that's more important for realtime mocap scenarios, less important for non realtime scenarios
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I was told by the people there and from what i demo'd that it was very accurate. the only problems they had had to do with interference from wifi at the conference, and even that was minimal. As far as crippling bugs there wasn't any jittering despite being in an open conference. It was noticeably clean.

The only minor things that go off are the drift (let's say you walk a straight a line, turn around and go back to the same spot) you might be off slightly. but orientation of the body is completely solid, with little to no noticeable lag. Also calibration of the system for the full body is extremely fast.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!