VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I'm sure there's probably dozens of similar threads on here related to this topic but either way I figured I'd post.I actually posted this question in a similar thread in this site but someone suggested I'd post in the Mac section. Anyways I have an MKV file I would like to burn to DVD. I've been given a few suggestions from other sites but not much luck. The closest I came to was using a program on Windows 7 called ConvertX which produced the DVD but the quality wasn't as high as I wanted it to be. Currently I am a Mac person so I also tried using multiAVCHD with Crossover but conversion failed. My question here is what programs can I use on Mac to burn my MKV file to DVD. Keep in mind my file has about 3 audio tracks which I want to preserve. I don't want it to convert with just one. Any suggestions???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Toast (not you, the program).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    Hi I'm sure there's probably dozens of similar threads on here related to this topic but either way I figured I'd post.I actually posted this question in a similar thread in this site but someone suggested I'd post in the Mac section. Anyways I have an MKV file I would like to burn to DVD. I've been given a few suggestions from other sites but not much luck. The closest I came to was using a program on Windows 7 called ConvertX which produced the DVD but the quality wasn't as high as I wanted it to be. Currently I am a Mac person so I also tried using multiAVCHD with Crossover but conversion failed. My question here is what programs can I use on Mac to burn my MKV file to DVD. Keep in mind my file has about 3 audio tracks which I want to preserve. I don't want it to convert with just one. Any suggestions???
    Yes, I do that too from time to time. I'm using iFFmpeg. Just load the the MKV file into iFFmpeg, and at the apps top toolbar press the make ISO button. After that you can burn with any standard burning program or even OSX's own tools. I'll edit this and post a link to my thread.

You will lose subtitles this way, but everything else works well.

Last page of thread mentioned
    Last edited by crjackson; 22nd Aug 2014 at 00:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'll try that and thats ok. I don't need the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
    I'll try that and thats ok. I don't need the subtitles.
    Post back after you've tried it and let me know how it worked out. Don't forget to download the latest FFmpeg binary and install it (just drag the binary file into the main iFFmpeg window and it will install it for you. Also tweak any settings you might want to change from default before pressing the "Make ISO" button.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm having difficulty getting a compiled FFmpeg binary file. I'm only getting the folder. I don't know to make it an icon so I can drag it to iFFmpeg so the program will work. I tried using the programs suggestions and found a site that step by step was telling me to compile a binary file but it needed me to download Xcode from the App store but the program couldn't be downloaded on my Mac. Is there a simpler way to get the binary file??? Whenever I sick the link on the FFmpeg page on this site I get this page http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ but I don't know which to use and what to do with it once I got
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get it here http://ffmpegmac.net

You don't have to compile it, just drag the binary into the main windows of iFFmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok thanx! I'll try again!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I apologize that I've just gotten around to doing all this tonight. Anyways any tips on the settings I should use? Also will I be able to convert it with the three audio tracks?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I still haven't had any luck with this. I'll go into detail again about what I'm trying to do. I have an MKV file Harmy's DeSpecialized Star Wars v2.5 that I would like to burn to DVD. I do not own a BluRay player so please do not suggest burning it to a BluRay disc. The video includes 3 audio tracks (70mm six track mix, 35mm stereo mix, and a 35mm mono mix). I would like to have these three tracks included. I ddi successfully burn a DVD a couple years ago with multiple audio tracks but the picture quality was reduced. My main computer of use is my Mac so if I could get some additional suggestions of what programs I could use to burn this file to DVD with the three tracks I'd appreciate it. I also have a working HP computer so I'm willing to take suggestions of programs for Windows. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't iffmpeg work at all? Maybe try dvdstyler and see how it handles mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I opened it in iffmpeg but I'm confused with the settings. In the audio settings it only has one of the three audio tracks checked. It won't let me check the other two. Does this mean its only gonna burn it with the track it has selected or will it do the other two??? Also what do I want to set the preset to?? Do I leave it where its at or do I change it?? Just seems confusing to me. Also I'm using a trial version.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used iffmpeg. But if you can't select all tracks I doubt they will be included.

Try dvdstyler!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm alternating between computers. I'm trying AVStoDVD on my HP. I'll try DVDStyler on my Mac. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Avstodvd is another good option. I thought you only had mac os x.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mac is my main computer but I also have my dads old HP which I only use for certain projects. Anyways I downloaded DVDStyler for Mac. Program kept quitting before it could open.
    Quote Quote  
  17. AVStoDVD keeps freezing on me before it has a chance to burn anything
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Then give up. Or buy convertxtodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  19. AVStoDVD is kinda working right now. I'll see what happens. I don't think its gonna give me the results I want anyway since its selected on DVD Folder and wont allow me to select Burn DVD. I did download DVDStyler for Windows so I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. A note on DVDStyler and 3 audio tracks. DVDStyler defaults to create a menu in the Video Manager Domain (VMGM). You can't use a button on such a menu to choose an audio track. You'll need a menu in the VTS Domain.

DVDStyler however allows you to "cheat" by using "Create jumppads" for your project which makes it appears as if you can choose an audio track from a VMGM menu.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for the tips guys. DVDStyler worked! Quality is a bit pixilated but definitely better than what I got with ConvertX. As for the menus, I chose not to create one. I'm lazy.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!