VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can take DVD screenshots without having to rip the entire contents of the disc to my hard drive. As far as I know, the only way to get Blu-ray screenshots is to rip (I use DVDFab) the whole disc which usually takes more than an hour and takes up over 40GB of space.

Blu-ray isn't really a new technology anymore. Has anyone yet figured out how to more easily get a single frame of a movie in full 1920x1080 with the same amount of hassle it takes to get a screenshot from a DVD (which is not a hassle at all)?

Please don't flame me for not finding this covered in another thread. I did do a search and didn't find anything. Thank you so much for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you use a decryption program that runs in the background, like AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey, you can use a free player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema or PotPlayer and play the movie with them. These free players will let you take snapshots.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Older versions of Arcsoft's TMT still allow screen captures of BluRays, but as I have deliberately not updated TMT in years I can't say whether the current version still allows this or not.

The original poster might be amused to find out that the reason that screen capturing is not allowed is that Hollywood truly feared someone using this method as a way to copy BluRays. That is sadly not an exaggeration at all Of course doing so in no way would have allowed copying the audio, but nobody ever accused Hollywood of having rational fears.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for the help! I will try these methods tonight when I am back on my home computer
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just wanted to say thank you very much for this --- it works great!

Does anyone know of a program that will play Blu-ray menus so I can get a screenshot of those? MPC-HC works great, but the menu options are blurred out. PowerDVD will play the menus, but won't let me capture (even with AnyDVD running).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    There are only about four programs that have good Blu-ray menu support. All of these pay fees to the AACS-LA for the privilege, and part of that arrangement is not to allow screenshots. As already stated, some of the early versions of PowerDVD, WinDVD and TMT allowed screenshots for Blu-ray, but not now as far as I know.

You could try with DVDFab Media Player. It is very much hit or miss on playing menus, but you might get lucky. Fab's media player is free to use for ripped files, and there should be a free trial to use it with the optical discs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Huge thanks again -- you've been a great help!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!