VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using MPCHC for awhile now and like it very much. I'm using the latest beta 1.7.6.139.

My question: Is it somehow possible to change the window color from black to anything else?

I think I've clicked through all the View -> Options, but didn't see any way to do it.

Have I missed something?

Thanks.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh my....

Can you change the blank screen colour of your tv ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Oh my....

Partly......

When my TV is running in 4:3 mode and adding pillarboxing to the sides, I can choose any colour I like as long as it's either light grey or dark grey. Maybe that's just a Plasma thing to help age the screen more evenly, but I don't think MPC-HC can do anything similar.

ffdshow can, if you're happy to use it for decoding. Enable it's resizing filter and select the "resize to 16:9 option" (for a 16:9 display). Or resize to your displays resolution. ie 1920x1080. Make sure "keep aspect ratio" is checked. If the picture isn't 16:9 there'll be borders added to make up the difference. Under the boders section there's a slider for setting their "greyness". Anything from black to white.

I don't think there's a way to get MPC-HC to output a background colour when there's no video playing. It displays a logo (maybe there's a way to replace one of them with a black image?) After playing video it usually stops on the last frame. Quite often, it's all black.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can change the color to anything you want,click on view/options/logo and choose external and load any picture file you want.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    In the "Logo" option, choose a background image whose width and height match your monitor's display resolution.

Not sure if you'll like the result though (well, I do not ).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Oh my....

No, but I can change the background color of, for example, Irfan View.

And actually, it's not only the "blank" view I'm interested in but rather the "surrounding" color of the movies I'm watching.

I'm sorry my original posting was misleading.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You'd probably need to decode with ffdshow as per my previous post, and "colour" means black or white or something in-between. I don't know of an easier way. Well........

You could use the View/Preset/Minimal option, which displays only the video, in which case the desktop colour could also be your background colour if there aren't any other programs on the screen, and you're not using an image for the desktop. You could drag the edges of the video until the width fills the screen and what's left would be your desktop colour (as opposed to fullscreen mode which would add black bars). You'd probably want to check "limit window proportions on player resize" in options so dragging the video to resize it won't mess with the aspect ratio.

I had a play with that and it works as described, but I couldn't find a clever way to get MPC-HC to automatically resize the video so the width (or height) was the same as the display's width (or height). As it does when running it in fullscreen mode. MPC-HC does have a few options for auto-zooming and remembering previous windows sizes etc. Maybe I just didn't find the magic combination.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    ...You could use the View/Preset/Minimal option, which displays only the video, in which case the desktop colour could also be your background colour if there aren't any other programs on the screen, and you're not using an image for the desktop. ...
    Thank you for your help. This is a good solution.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!