VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since we are moving out of using disks to view our movies on TV
    and I am assuming that I can put a movie on a Jump Drive
    Would the possibility of using chapter points work ?

I am currently using Adobe Encore

I hope I asked this in the correct place
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can still use dvd and bluray format on your hdd/drive with all its feature.

But it would be better to make a mkv or mp4 file with chapters. You can add the chapters in video multiplexers. But not all players supports mkv/mp4 chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Who exactly is the "we" that is moving out of using discs? If that's you and your family because you made a personal decision, that's your business. If "we" means you've fallen for the hype that NOBODY on earth is going to buy discs anymore and they will be completely gone and unobtainable very soon now because EVERYTHING is available via streaming, then ha ha hah ha ha ha ..... you poor deluded man.
    Last edited by jman98; 13th Aug 2014 at 12:31. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fzf5bl View Post
    I am currently using Adobe Encore
    Then you would be aware that you can stud the timelines in Encore with chapters galore. You would also be aware that Encore is a blu-ray/DVD authoring program, which seems ironic, considering you think we're "moving out of using discs".
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you just going to be playing these back on your computer? My advice would be to use MakeMKV with the free beta key and VLC Media Player to play the files back. Maybe an external HDD to store the files on.

As for disc-based media becoming obsolete, I wouldn't count on it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Who exactly is the "we" that is moving out of using discs? If that's you and your family because you made a personal decision, that's your business. If "we" means you've fallen for the hype that NOBODY on earth is going to buy discs anymore and they will be completely gone and unobtainable very soon now because EVERYTHING is available via streaming, then ha ha hah ha ha ha ..... you poor deluded man.
    This.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    When I read the thread title I just knew that this post would be near the top

It's a brave soul who dares to suggest on this board that discs are starting to fade as the dominant source of video storage ........ you suggest that here at your peril!..

(The fact that it's probably true doesn't really enter much into the discussion, I'm afraid... )
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yup, I was chastised once here when I said that 3D TV's were not selling.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Damn straight!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Um...... Thanks for the help ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Putting aside the flameworthy topic of Disc-based media vs. File/stream-based, what you are really wanting to know is: "what formats support chapters?" and "how do I insert them?" and "which apps support proper playback using chapters?".

Formats:
    AVI - No. (Exception *.divx files when mastered with divx tools and only using certified divx players)
    MOV - Yes. (Using a form of timed text)
    MP4 - Yes. (based on MOV)
    MKV - Yes.
    MPG, TS/MTS/M2T/M2TS, Real, WMV/ASF - No.
    OGG - possibly (haven't bothered to check)

For app to help insert/adjust: For MKV - chapterEditor. For AVI - DivXAuthor & DivXBuilder. For MOV - QTPro. For MP4 - ? Drax ?

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th Dec 2014 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I'm with jman98. It'll take at least a generation of computer literate users to replace optical discs with other gizmos. It'll also take a lot of postage to share your 30GB videos by shipping hard drive copies to your relatives and friends, or a lot of streaming fees for same. I've been through the streaming bit myself -- no thanks, people, lots of room for improvement there (most of 'em look like crap, I can't keep copies, and I don't want to pay more than once for my favorite movies).

But everyone can do as they please.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  13. As long as you quit optical discs system (movie with a chapter) you are in different world. Not optical disc world.

You do not need chapters any more. You export clips out of Adobe Premiere, keeping an order, organizing your clips, for example,
    2014_12_17_ trip.to.city.mp4
    2014_12_24_our.first.Christmas.mp4

or you can number just folders and just add 01,02 for clips in it, it is entirely on you to decided how to mark those short clips ..

this way it is stored always in alphabetical order in any folder on any device, no chapters needed, you can easily mail over www or stream your favorite clip to someone else, short clip, not many is interesting to watch some home video, 1 hour video, with chapters in it ,

so those clips are shorter than movies and you do not need any menus as well, because clips are properly named, you can jump from clip to clip, that mp4 or mkv format is ready for tablet phone streaming as well, and in couple of years even from your storage to phone on the other side of world as well, what are you going to do with optical discs,..., so if you are at zero hour , starting to make some database, why not to do it that way right away ...
    Last edited by _Al_; 17th Dec 2014 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    You're going to email a 30GB BluRay? Good luck.

I didn't know it was that difficut for people to use chapters and menus. But whatever.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Nobody needs to mail 30GB hardisk anymore. There is thumb drives, web or you can mail 1280x720 3Mbit video that is just super duper fine. Or better just to mail or ftp , I don't know even teamviewer has ftp as well, you just pass couple of clips. This is the point. You only pass some favorites or what the other side wants to see, not whole never ending novels of movies.
    Having NAS you can allow, letting them to have access in certain directories, to download whatever they want.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    It'll also take a lot of postage to share your 30GB videos by shipping hard drive copies to your relatives and friends, or a lot of streaming fees for same.
    I know! With all that darn inflation and an inefficient postal system sending this would cost a whopping 49 cents!
    Where have the good old times been?

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Come on, man. I'm not buying 10 thumb drives of my nephew's wedding to mail to relatives. Most of them don't have players that can read from USB. Few people care to fiddle with all that hardware, most don't how, and they never will. Youngsters like to travel with their satchels of drives and USB sticks and hang out and LAN parties, but most people just don't do it that way. Maybe 50 years from now, when we're carrying all that stuff around with us in chips imbedded in our kneecaps. But not any time soon.
    Quote Quote  
  18. How about wireless technology?
    Making optical discs is a necessity as well, sometimes, agreed!, but that is just for somebody else, ,..., I just click a button and through dmfs it makes DVD, no menu, no chapters, who cares,(because menu and chapters is actually that thing that costs you time to do it) they'll appreciate it as well, and using some NLE even as beginner , regular workflow to make DVD is mostly published and mostly straight forward, it is quite simple to make DVD for somebody to see something, but not for yourself,
    I was trying to talk to op what to do for himself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	c02554324.png
Views:	277
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	29166

I still use tape...never fails...have some 20 years old...flash drives and hard drives fail, optical media is down the sewer now in terms of quality...the future is cloud and old tape...rest is a waste
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!