VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am a complete newbie to this. I just purchased the Acrok Video Converter Ulitmate (which I believe is exactly the same thing as the Brorsoft Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate). I based this purchase on reading the various "Top-10" review Websites, which I should have known are merely bogus reviews written by the product vendors themselves, but that's another story. I also downloaded the trail version of MakeMKV since it seems to get high marks on the various discussion forums, and it's much faster.

Anyway, when I ripped one of my Blu-ray disks ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" to be exact) using MakeMKV and then examined it with the MediaInfo application it indicated that there were two audio streams - an AC-3 and a PCM. For the PCM stream MediaInfo indicated that I needed to go to the web site of this audio codec. I then ripped the same disk to MKV using the Acrok converter (and it took more than twice as long and used 100% of all of my CPU cores too!). Although the Acrok application itself indicated that there were apparently two different AC-3 streams and one LPCM stream on the disk, the only options it gave me for ripping were AAC and AC-3, even though I selected LPCM from the dropdown menu on the main window. After the rip MediaInfo indicated that there was only 1 audio stream and that it was ACC. So, I am somewhat confused in many ways as to what I am actually getting or should be getting. Here are some specific questions I would appreciate any insight into:

1. Have any of you ever heard of or used the Acrok or Brorsoft rippers?
    2. Should I even care about ripping the PCM stream and if so, how would I rip it as the only audio stream?
    3. Is there still a free activation code for MakeMKV or do I now have to actually pay $50 for it.
    4. Is there something like MediaInfo that provides information about the various formats on the original Blu-ray disk itself?

Any and all other comments/suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well judging from the statement that neither of these softwares appear on this site (no links), you have wasted your money by getting a rip-off front-end to free software or similar.

Makemkv, well atleast the version on this site, is still free and when you go to the developer's site it confirms this - AS LONG AS THE S/W REMAINS IN BETA

So I do not have a clue where you got the $50 price from since I could not see that on the site.

And mediainfo, AFAIK, does not direct you to ANY site for ANY codec.

Read the forum and site for guides of ripping BD disks and software to use. Put that purchase down to experience. As you said, you ought to have known better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Certainly if you're a native English speaker, "A-crock" and "Borrow-soft" should raise red flags from the get-go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, you don't need a codec for LPCM. A codec is a "compressor / decompressor" that works on a particular type of compression. LPCM is uncompressed. No compression, no need for a codec. Plus, it's layout is basic and intrinsic to EVERY installation of every OS.

PCM is the standard against which all other formats are compared (it is the "10" on a scale of 1-10). Assuming its other parameters are also high quality (bitdepth, samplerate).

MediaInfo will also work with original (un-encrypted) BD/DVD discs as well as standard media files. Just point them to the M2TS/SSIF files (in the case of BD/3DBD) or VOB files (in the case of DVD-Video).

Unlearn most all of what you learned (keeping MakeMKV & MediaInfo), and hopefully you can get your money back on the others.

Then, do a little reading & homework understanding digital media formats/containers/codecs and the BD & DVD formats and ripping vs. converting.

Then, you will be much better armed to get exactly what you want from your media.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So I do not have a clue where you got the $50 price from since I could not see that on the site.
    Here's the step by step on how to get MakeMKV for $50 from the makemkv.com Website...
    Open MakeMKV BETA v1.8.11.
    Click on "Help->About->Purchase". This takes you to http://www.makemkv.com/buy/.
    Click the "BUY NOW" button at the bottom of the page, which takes you to https://secure.avangate.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=3562140&QTY=1.
    Fill out the information and click the "Continue" button at the bottom of the page.
    "Wallah", you've just purchased MAkeMKV for $50.
    Pretty cool scam don't you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Scam? What scam?

MakeMKV has made it clear that:
    As stated on a main page all features of MakeMKV are free while program is in beta. You may purchase the full activation key if you like the program and want to show your support, but you also may use the temporary beta key.
    So, all you've done is shown your support and purchased the full activation key which guarantees MakeMKV to work even after it isn't in Beta anymore!

If you purchased without reading all the info regarding the app, well then "caveat emptor" and "Stulti et impensa, simul dividitur".
    However, it's still a worthwhile purchase, in contrast to the other 2 (scams).

BTW, the word is "Voila!".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Scam? What scam?

MakeMKV has made it clear that:
    As stated on a main page all features of MakeMKV are free while program is in beta. You may purchase the full activation key if you like the program and want to show your support, but you also may use the temporary beta key.
    So, all you've done is shown your support and purchased the full activation key which guarantees MakeMKV to work even after it isn't in Beta anymore!

If you purchased without reading all the info regarding the app, well then "caveat emptor" and "Stulti et impensa, simul dividitur".
    However, it's still a worthwhile purchase, in contrast to the other 2 (scams).

BTW, the word is "Voila!".

Scott

Scott,
    You are correct and I hope you and everyone else will accept my apology. I shouldn't have added the remark about a scam since my reply was merely intended to clarify the confusion for one of the respondents to my original posting who said, "So I do not have a clue where you got the $50 price from since I could not see that on the site." And yes, you are correct about the correct word being "Voila!", and I was silly enough to think it was an orchestral instrument until I looked it up.
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  8. MakeMKV just rips. It doesn't convert anything (I think it can convert DST HD audio but you need a plugin). If the other programs took a lot longer and kept your CPU busy, chances are they were ripping and converting (either the audio or video, or both).

I don't use any of the programs you mentioned but keep on mind sometimes you can set preferences for which streams they show by default before ripping. ie one program might hide everything except English audio or not show any commentary tracks by default etc.

MakeMKV should do the job fine. Maybe someone who knows it better than me will come along and can advise on it's usage. I rip with the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor myself. It rips each stream to individual files though, which you'd need to combine into a single MKV yourself (using something like MKVMergeGUI). I don't mind that as I re-encode the video anyway. It can convert the audio while ripping if you want it to. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor can't rip copy protected discs though (although it'd possibly still show their contents). It requires something Like AnyDVD HD to be running in the background doing the decrypting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Geek99 View Post
    I shouldn't have added the remark about a scam since my reply was merely intended to clarify the confusion for one of the respondents to my original posting who said, "So I do not have a clue where you got the $50 price from since I could not see that on the site."
    I understood what you meant by using "scam" in that context as soon as I read it, and thought it was humorously put.

It seemed that DB83 didn't realise MakeMKV could be purchased.
    Last edited by mike20021969; 13th Aug 2014 at 04:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. I did not.

I still do not think the site is mis-leading as it clearly states that you are obtaining a Beta product. I downloaded it direct from this site which states it is 'Free'.

If that 'Free' version is expire-ware, I would rely on the software itself to tell me that I have to buy it to continue to use it and not be cavalier with clicking within the software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If that 'Free' version is expire-ware, I would rely on the software itself to tell me that I have to buy it to continue to use it
    As you probably know, the DVD part will never expire.
    MakeMKV does tell you when the temporary key expires though and to renew it.

On another note, MakeMKV has been in beta now for years.
    What is stopping it from become a "stable" version that has to be purchased I wonder..., as there will always be fixes and improvements with newer versions.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Geek99 View Post
    Hello,

I am a complete newbie to this. I just purchased the Acrok Video Converter Ulitmate (which I believe is exactly the same thing as the Brorsoft Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate). I based this purchase on reading the various "Top-10" review Websites, which I should have known are merely bogus reviews written by the product vendors themselves, but that's another story. I also downloaded the trail version of MakeMKV since it seems to get high marks on the various discussion forums, and it's much faster.

Anyway, when I ripped one of my Blu-ray disks ("Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" to be exact) using MakeMKV and then examined it with the MediaInfo application it indicated that there were two audio streams - an AC-3 and a PCM. For the PCM stream MediaInfo indicated that I needed to go to the web site of this audio codec. I then ripped the same disk to MKV using the Acrok converter (and it took more than twice as long and used 100% of all of my CPU cores too!). Although the Acrok application itself indicated that there were apparently two different AC-3 streams and one LPCM stream on the disk, the only options it gave me for ripping were AAC and AC-3, even though I selected LPCM from the dropdown menu on the main window. After the rip MediaInfo indicated that there was only 1 audio stream and that it was ACC. So, I am somewhat confused in many ways as to what I am actually getting or should be getting. Here are some specific questions I would appreciate any insight into:

1. Have any of you ever heard of or used the Acrok or Brorsoft rippers?
    2. Should I even care about ripping the PCM stream and if so, how would I rip it as the only audio stream?
    3. Is there still a free activation code for MakeMKV or do I now have to actually pay $50 for it.
    4. Is there something like MediaInfo that provides information about the various formats on the original Blu-ray disk itself?

Any and all other comments/suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Not sure if I will be of any help since this is an old post but I just wanted to let you know that Acrok Customer Service is far from good and maybe even of non-existent. First of all you can only reach them by email. If you're lucky they'll reply within 36 hours. And even if you reply to their reply-email quickly they will let you WAIT AGAIN for another 36 hours or in some cases (like mine) they will just not reply. The "tone" in their emails is also extremely arrogant and the "solution" that I received was not clear and incomplete. It seems like they don't read customer problems carefully and they just don't care at all. This was my experience with this company 2 times within 3 months. I've searched for background information on this company but hardly couldn't find anything and it wouldn't surprise me if they are a scam.
    Last edited by owl369; 6th Apr 2015 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ripping with MakeMKV is fine. I typically set it up to extract the lossless track to FLAC and then I encode off of that with the necessary program.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!