VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to video/audio editing so I don't know much about this kind of stuff. I've recently been trying to get into making videos to upload onto YouTube but I have been running into a couple problems with syncing my voice audio and video. After moving around my voice audio in my editor, Blender, I noticed that the audio is slightly faster than the video. After about 20-30 minutes or so, the voice audio is at least 1-2 seconds too early. The video is recorded at 59.94 FPS in a .M2TS format and then converted to .avi at 29.97 FPS with WinFF. I use Audacity to record my voice but it's not the same speed as the video, it's slightly faster. Is there any way to make the voice audio the same speed as the video while keeping the quality good?

Again, I don't know very much about this so any help is appreciated! Thanks, Solowing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So, you are watching the video in one app (blender?) while recording in another, Audacity. Then you take the audacity track and drop it into your blender timeline. Am I correct?

Most likely your system is struggling to keep up with the two disk/processor intensive apps at the same time. Is there no way to record your track directly into Blender?

If this is a typical voice over, you can just add cuts to your audio and slide it into place in segments rather than one whole chunk.
    Last edited by smrpix; 12th Aug 2014 at 18:46.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded the video and audio from my PlayStation 3 with a PVR and recorded my voice with a headset using Audacity at the same time but when I pair the two with Blender, the voice audio is slightly faster than the video.

Edit: Blender is just the editor that I use to put the files together and render the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Since nothing is tying the devices together during recording, minor differences in the timing clocks, dropped frames or samples, can easily account for the discrepancy. At the very least, make sure all the devices are set to 29.97 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know how to set Audacity to record at that speed?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oops, no framerate in Audacity. Use 48000 or 44100 kps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's another thing I'm not familiar with. What is that?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Your audio project sample rate...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AudHi.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	26861
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, what rate should I set to match 29.97 FPS?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Solowing View Post
    Ok, what rate should I set to match 29.97 FPS?
    As mentioned previously, there's no frame rate in Audacity. Just use the sample rate shown.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well ya, but what should I set it to to make them both the same speed?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Simple answer: you can't.

Short of switching over to all professional genlocked gear, you must record voice, video and ps3 audio to the same machine at the same time. That's the only way to guarantee it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so in Audacity, using the effect "Change Speed..." won't work the way I want it to?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Solowing View Post
    Ok, so in Audacity, using the effect "Change Speed..." won't work the way I want it to?
    It could -- but how are you planning to measure the offset? Slicing and slipping would still be my preferred method.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure, again I don't know much so I just tried to change the speed percentage and it seemed to make the overall length longer/shorter but when I put it in Blender, the amount of total frames stayed the same and the difference of speed between the voice audio and the video was the same.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rather than using change speed, perhaps change tempo would be better. It changes the length ( set it to a minus value
    to make the file longer, as your audio is too early). Change Tempo retains the pitch of the original.

Adding a longer/shorter audio to a video track is not going to change the video frame count, unless you re-encode the video,
    or trim it.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!