VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    OK, this's a new one to me; I googled it, found many responses but no real answers as to what it is actually about.

In my case, the computer will start normally and run most sessions (for a couple hours at a time), no problem.

But every few days, usually while using a browser, it will beep loudly and the cursor will seize up for a few seconds to a couple minutes. Cont/Alt/Del has no effect during the freeze.

Most of the similar cases I found online had various operating systems, manufacturers, and were more severe with BSDs.

My Tosh has a dual boot setup with Ubuntu 12.04 and the Ubuntu hasn't displayed any symptoms.

Hardware, software, or malware problem, guys?
    Last edited by ahhaa; 12th Aug 2014 at 12:39. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try clearing your history.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    My Tosh has a dual boot setup with Ubuntu 12.04 and the Ubuntu hasn't displayed any symptoms.
    Do you run Ubuntu as often as Windows? It could be a case of probability. By any chance, while you're browsing the net do you have the laptop on your lap or on top of a soft surface like bed sheets? If you're partially blocking the heatsink airflow it could do that.

Flushing the cache won't do any harm so why not, but in this type of situation I think you should clean the CPU heatsink by blowing compressed air through the openings, if possible remove the cover and use a small stick to prevent the fan spinning (they really don't like that).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    In windoze run task manager and see if CPU activity is close to 100%, for whatever reason. If so, CPU may be overheating, abeted by dust bunnies and all that, so clean it, like nick24 says. In general, I'm told Ubuntu, along with other linux flavors, tend to be more efficient (and therefore use less CPU processing) so that may be keeping the overheating at bay. I don't know how to access Ubuntu's version of task manager, though, to see how much CPU activity it takes up in comparison.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's an issue with bad scripts on web pages that does that,happens to my mother's destop computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "Usually while using a browser". Really? EVERY SINGLE TIME, or, if not, what were you doing when it beeped and locked while NOT using a browser?

How Long were you browsing, "usually"?

"A" browser? Gosh golly gee, WHICH FREAKING ONE? More than one? Goody. Name them.

What, EXACTLY, happens after it stops freezing?

Precise, accurate information is the key to solving such problems without simply making wild guesses.

Your description of "similar cases" makes me wonder what you consider to be Completely Different?

Get a temp monitoring program, like speedfan, and report back with Multiple checks with temp numbers.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!