VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    Got a new computer and it didn't come with firewire/ieee1394 ports. Looking for a low profile PCI firewire card, currently borrowing an old HP high profile card but besides it being over sized it does not seem to recognize my equipment. Windows ultimate 64 bit recognizes the card but none of the equipment I plug into it, a more detailed way of saying it is that when I plug in my Sony DSR 30 mini dv deck or DSR 300 camera in it will recognize the name of the equipment, it will then do a search online for a long time then a screen pops up stating it found a driver but requires a user input dialog box and then closes. The card worked 75% of the time on the HP win XP machine. Checking other forums I read that the HP card is not compatible with the Win 7 64 bit operating system.
    So what I am looking for and asking if anyone has a recommendation for a low profile ieee1394 PCI card that is compatible with my system and my numerous Sony equipment? or is there another solution all together that doesn't require me to take out another mortgage on my house Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    { the answer from usually_quiet is better ^.^; }
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 12th Aug 2014 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Texas Instruments chipset is supposed to offer better compatibility with DV cameras than chipsets from VIA, but the cards using TI chipsets tend to cost twice as much those using VIA. Windows 7 provides its own FireWire drivers, so you won't often see Windows 7 compatibility listed, although the product information for the card from Lindy below says it is Windows 7 compatible. Installing the legacy Windows 7 FireWire drivers sometimes helps.

Below is a PCI-e card with two FireWire 400 ports and a PCI card with two FireWire 400 ports. Both have a TI chipset and include a low-profile bracket and a full-height bracket
    http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-FireWire-2-Port-PCIe-NN-E20012-S2/dp/B000G6U8VY
    http://www.amazon.com/LINDY-Port-FireWire-Card-51097/dp/B001FZ07NE

I'm retracting the recommendation for the Lindy Firewire card above. Its product description indicating a TI chipset appears to be wrong. I zoomed in to look at something else, because I was thinking of buying one and saw a VIA chip. I will have to look for another PCI card.

This one says TI at the manufacturer's product page
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800998056

Oh snap, I can't find any info regarding a low profile bracket for the SIIG PCI 3 port Firewire card.

Low profile version is http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-Low-Profile-1394-Adapter/dp/B008C4LITI
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Aug 2014 at 18:43. Reason: added TI chipset info for linked cards
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use and recommend the SIIG NN-E20012-S2 (TI chip). I believe it's the most reliable choice for Win7 compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, for the info. When doing some research on this I came across some others that said to go with TI instead of VIA chipset. And $25 is very easy on the pocket book compared to the $600 AJA Video IO HD Media converter I was considering on Ebay which some seemed to recommend also.

Will let you know how it works out when I get it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by EZ Video View Post
    Thanks, for the info. When doing some research on this I came across some others that said to go with TI instead of VIA chipset. And $25 is very easy on the pocket book compared to the $600 AJA Video IO HD Media converter I was considering on Ebay which some seemed to recommend also.

Will let you know how it works out when I get it.
    Yes, TI is considered better across the board. But why on earth were you considering the AJA?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!