VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    When trying to convert tv shows from my PVR no matter if It is to AVI,MP4 etc
    playback results in a square picture not fullscreen.
    I hope someone can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give a few more details of how you are doing this. The output of a Topfield in Australia will either be a .rec file (MPEG TS with Topfield header) or the latter models I think straight mpeg. It will be 16:9 regardless of content (black bars as appropriate) as that's all that is transmitted locally. So the problem will be with the software you are using. I used to have a 5000 but since moved on to Beyonwiz but the best process is the same - demux with ProjectX and then remux using a mpeg editor or the free MPEGStreamclip - this program can directly produce a MP4 file for you. So let us know what you are doing after you transfer to your computer.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks so much for the reply
    The files are mpg. I cannot play them on the pc without converting. I have been using xmedia recode I have also tried any DVD converter and leawo video converter.
    They all end up the same square picture when played in windows media player. The tv shows are 16:9 on the PVR so I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
    Sorry but I am new to this and just thought I could simply convert using a program but looking at your instructions it looks a lot more involved.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's PAL it'll be 720x576 which is "square-ish". It's not supposed to display that way. It should be stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio on playback.

When you re-encode it you can encode it at 720x576 and if the correct aspect ratio is being set, the encoded version will be stretched to 16:9 on playback too. Maybe the correct aspect ratio isn't being set. I've never used the programs you're using. You could try resizing the video to 16:9 dimensions while converting it. I can't tell you how to do so with the programs you're using but you'd want to resize it to something like 720x400.

Or, I'd download MPC-HC and never use Windows Media Player again. There's a portable version you can just unzip and run, so you don't need to install it as such.
    Try using MPC-HC to play the mpg video. If not, you can use it to play your encoded version for the moment. The following menu: View/Video Frame/Override Aspect Ratio/16:9 should hopefully get MPC-HC to display it correctly.

Or, you might want to try opening the mpg video with MKVMergeGUI and saving it as an MKV. It's easy to do once MKVToolNix/MKVMergeGUI is installed. See if the MKV version will play using MPC-HC. Then you won't need to re-encode it and with any luck it'll display correctly without you needing to do anything.

Or, for converting, try AutoGK. Just select the Target Quality encoding method and leave it at 75%. Open an mpeg file, and use the "Add Job" button to add it to the queue, then start AutoGK converting. With any luck AutoGK will output an AVI which even WMP should be able to play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the PC VLC will play Topfield, Beyonwiz mpg files and show subs located on page 801 if you need them. If you need to shrink them for size considerations then autogk does a good job or Handbrake etc. if size is not an issue then MkvMergeGui is easy to use or Makemkv.

If you have any audio sync problems with Topfield files then using ProjectX is the best solution followed by VideoRedo (payware)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just set the display aspect ratio or pixel aspect ratio when you encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by footychic View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply
    The files are mpg. I cannot play them on the pc without converting. I have been using xmedia recode I have also tried any DVD converter and leawo video converter.
    They all end up the same square picture when played in windows media player. The tv shows are 16:9 on the PVR so I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
    Sorry but I am new to this and just thought I could simply convert using a program but looking at your instructions it looks a lot more involved.

You should be able to play them directly on your PC using VLC or Potplayer without the need for any conversion - Windows Media Player is not particularly flexible, some would even say it's crap!

Just remember to go to the menu item "Aspect ratio" in VLC or Potplayer and set it to 16:9 if it doesn't automatically pick it up from the file. No need to convert for simple PC playback.

If you intend to do anything else like convert to dvd then programs like ConvertXtoDVD will author directly from Topfiled and Beyonwiz files.

If you have a storage problem and want to reduce the size then AutoGK for AVI format or the newer VidCoder and Handbrake will shrink and convert to MP4 or MKV etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hi and thanks for all the help after trying the suggestions you have given me I still have the same problem. It has been driving me crazy .
    Then I realised what the problem could be I am using the recordings from the AV input and the max recording quality on
    AV input is 576p.

When played on the Topfield TFR2400 its great plays 16:9 but transfer it to the PC and play it and it's 4:3 everytime. Would anybody know how to fix it. I can't find any help in the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just set the display aspect ratio to 16:9. Or the pixel aspect ratio to 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then I realised what the problem could be I am using the recordings from the AV input and the max recording quality on
    AV input is 576p.
    Can you explain exactly how you are using and transferring file from the Toppy to the PC? You say you are using the A/v Inputs so are you running cable or satellite into the Toppy? or are you using FTA TV using the Toppy tuners?

If you are capturing from another source via the A/V inputs then you are correct the max is 576p and indeed square pixels - the Beyonwiz and their add on capture device the LiDiC does the same. You will need to run the transferred mpeg file through a program like TMP and you can then adjust the aspect ratio. Also in ConvertXtoDVD you can correct it
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I have my foxtel going through A/V input. I hook up my external HDD to copy the files from the PVR and then to PC.
    FTA channels are fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used an early version of TMPGEnc XPress also ConvertXtoDVD fixed it as did AutoGK. According to MediaInfo the files had an aspect ratio of 5:4

Can you post a MediaInfo report on one of the files https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo (don't worry about the adware just watch carefully during install to not accept the added junk or get an earlier version if you don't already have it)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I just installed mediainfo no idea how to use it.
    Added file how do I get a report
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Is this ok

General
    Complete name : M:\Analog Stream-4.mpg
    Format : MPEG-TS
    Format profile : No PAT/PMT
    File size : 372 MiB
    Duration : 6mn 5s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 517 Kbps

Video
    ID : 4130 (0x1022)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : Variable
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 7 902 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 12.0 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.762
    Time code of first frame : 00:43:53:20
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 345 MiB (93%)

Audio
    ID : 4131 (0x1023)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -145ms
    Stream size : 8.38 MiB (2%)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Try remuxing with TsMuxer setting the DAR to 16:9.

Or, if you're reencoding, just tell the program that the source is 16:9 DAR, not the 4:3 DAR flagged in the TS file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried MPEGStreamclip? File -> Convert to AVI and then select the profile and aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Ok TsMuxer have no idea how to use it where to make the changes you suggested (I did try)and MPEGStreamclip wants me to install quicktime I did but its the wrong one it needs version 1.81 and I don't know which one is safe.
    I'm sorry to be a pain I am just trying to learn I thought this would be easy as I have had no trouble converting before but these files have been torture.
    Also what is a good program for cutting out ads etc.
    I am paralysed and stuck in bed 24/7 so needless to say I have time to convert stuff to share with my family and friends. This is the first time I have posted anything online and would like to say thanks to all for replying and for all the great help much appreciated.
    I just may sort this out.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by footychic View Post
    Ok TsMuxer have no idea how to use it where to make the changes you suggested
    0) Start TsMuxerGui.
    1) Add your source file
    2) Highlight the video track.
    3) Set the AR to 16:9.
    4) Browse to set the output filename.
    5) Start Muxing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tsm.png
Views:	182
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	26918
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Please help I still can't do this I don't have the same options as you

Click image for larger version

Name:	ts.png
Views:	172
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	26932
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I am also getting this messageClick image for larger version

Name:	ts2.png
Views:	289
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	26933
    Quote Quote  
  21. Rename you source file "Analog Stream-4.TS" instead of "Analog Stream-4.mpg". Then try again.

MediaInfo shows that the container is MPEG-TS (should have the extension .TS), not MPEG-PS (should be extension .MPG or .MPEG). Having a Transport Stream with an MPG extension is confusing TsMuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I can't believe this what am I doing wrong.Click image for larger version

Name:	ts3.png
Views:	161
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	26934
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you record about 1 or 2 minutes or less and upload the file. If you can I will have a look at it and see what I can do with it. I tried TSMuxer with one of my analog capture files but the Beyonwiz produces a MP4 video + aac audio in this mode otherwise it is identical to the Topfield as far as on-air recordings go. So it is not comparing "likes" The other thing you could try in the meantime is download the trial copy of ConvertXtoDVD and have a play with it. You go to video size section and you can see in the preview monitor what the various options do. This would produce a DVD conforming set of files that can then be run into AutoGK or AVI.net or VidCoder etc etc...
    A long way round until a more direct solution is found. Not sure if the Topfied forum is still running, if it is surely someone there has posted a comment about this problem.

We in the Beyonwiz community had a similar problem and eventually a firmware fix solved the problem.

For ccomparison this is a MediaInfo report on a Beyonwiz analog capture (from an ancient VHS) not aspect ratio 5:4 !!!

Code:
    General
    ID                                       : 15325 (0x3BDD)
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\Netmask\Desktop\LiDiC 1 Jan.25.2008_16.3 2008-01-25.ts
    Format                                   : MPEG-TS
    File size                                : 1.93 GiB
    Duration                                 : 1h 34mn
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 2 919 Kbps

Video
    ID                                       : 68 (0x44)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : Main@L3.0
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=25
    Codec ID                                 : 27
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 5:4
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
    Standard                                 : PAL
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan order                               : Top Field First
    Language                                 : English
    Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

Audio
    ID                                       : 69 (0x45)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : LC
    Muxing mode                              : ADTS
    Codec ID                                 : 15
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : 90ms
    Language                                 : English
    Last edited by netmask56; 17th Aug 2014 at 08:14.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes, I think you'll have to upload a sample for others to analyze. Maybe it's the "No PAT/PMT" ?
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Aug 2014 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Has anyone tried Xvid4psp? It can detect black bars and set the aspect ratio. Just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, I think you'll have to upload a sample for others to analyze. Maybe it's the "No PAT/PMT" ?
    Yes I noticed that and that is why I'm so keen to get the OP to use ProjectX. It really is the best program for handling TS files as produced by Australian digital TV. Know the interface is horrible for newbies but it is easy to set up by simply replacing the default installation ini file with the one I have published from time to time in various posts ( for Australian conditions)

The other program worth trying is TSDoctor to see what it throws up. The local system has really been badly interfered with by the politicians who determined that 576p was to be officially HDTV ! Fortunately no broadcaster is now using it and have gravitated to 720p. Most so called HDTV transmissions are 1440 x 1080 as a result of all the extra shopping channels squeezed into the frequency allocation.. A real mess. Rant ended....
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Just waiting for one of my kids to get file from PVR(can't get to it myself) for me and then will try my best to upload file.
    In the meantime I will try the other suggestions.
    This is so frustrating but I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Ok here goes
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    I hope that works and you guys can see it I can't even play it directly on the PC only on my PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  30. The file plays fine using MPC. It converts easily using Xvid4psp ((xvid) AVI), and quickly too. The clip took about 50 seconds to convert video and audio. Just set the aspect ratio from the top menu. You could use a little cropping to remove the edge blur.

http://files.videohelp.com/u/198336/Analog%20Stream-7.avi

Edit: Further to the above, I converted to DVD using ConvertxtoDVD. Used a 16:9 aspect ratio, deinterlace, and a 16 pixel crop to the left and bottom edges (I think. I neglected to write down the settings); I then transcoded the VOB back to .mpg. What is interesting (and I haven't got the inclination to investigate) is that my version of VideoRedo wouldn't entertain the original clip. Must look at upgrading, lol.

http://files.videohelp.com/u/198336/Analog%20Stream-7b.mpg

I just noticed the volume difference between the two. My fault. I'm half deaf, and when I convert to avi I use a preset which raises the volume so I don't have to keep altering the TV setting. Sorry. Lol.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 18th Aug 2014 at 08:19.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!