VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    please forgive me if this was discussed already, I assumed it wasn't since the program haven't been updated for a while.

So I encode 17 MTS files from my videocamera into x.264 (in mkv container) and then try to merge them with mkvmergeGUI.
    There is something different in the 12th file - so I get errors. Merging from 1 to 11 is fine, and also from 13 to 17. Even more - I can merge the so merged two files into one which contains everything with the exception of number 12.

Tried to encode with exactly the same params, just framerate set to constant - did not help.
    Switched back to variable and resized to 1024x576 . This time all 17 files merged OK.
    But I want to merge them in the original Full HD def.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks !!!
    Best wishes,
    UP
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably a better idea to append the MTS first e.g. tsmuxer , then encode once
    Quote Quote  
  3. poisondeathray, that makes sense of course, but still I wonder if there could be another solution.
    Best wishes,
    UP
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's probably an x264 encoder oddness I don't fully understand. A while back something changed which made appending video a bit hit and miss, although when using CRF encoding and the same settings it's sometimes okay. A few x264 versions later a fix was introduced via the --stitchable option. https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2013-July/010167.html

I don't know which version of Handbrake you use, which version of the x264 encoder Handbrake uses, how you add "stitchable" to the Handbrake commandline, or for certain it'll work. It definitely does for the recent CLI versions of x264. If you can't get it to work with the latest Handbrake you might need to use an older version (and therefore an older x264 version which doesn't require the use of "stitchable").

It has nothing to do with resizing. That was no doubt just co-incidence.
    For the record, the change which broke the ability to append encodes appears to have occurred sometime between rev 2216 and 2230 of the x264 encoder. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1619425#post1619425
    Last edited by hello_hello; 11th Aug 2014 at 04:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I found the difference. Despite that Handbrake is set for variable framerate, the problematic file has a constant framerate
    Is there a quick way to set this "bit" to variable ?
    Best wishes,
    UP
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!