VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Have a usb drive full of films, nearly all in the mkv container. However, TV where I am wont play mkv off the drive so need to convert. However ploughing them through format factory or handbrake take hours per film when possibly all I need to do is re-package them in a new container. Trouble is, I dont know what codecs the audio and video are in, inside the container.
    so the q is - how do i find out what codec is in the the container so I know whether I can re-skin or weather I have to do a full convert?
    Many thanks for any advice/thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    jagabo - wow. quick reply! Thanks so much. Already downloaded and having a look at the files. Mediainfo provides a shedload of info so I'll need to get my head around what I can see to work out what I do.
    If it is re-skin job only, not full convert, do you have a recommendation, akin to the handbrake/format factories of this world?
    cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can use MMG to remux into MKV. MkvExtractGUI2 to extract elementary streams from MKV files. Mp4Muxer or YAMB to mux elementary streams into MP4.

If reencoding is necessary Handbrake is fine. Use the Normal preset for fast conversion with reasonable quality that's compatible with most players. High Profile for higher quality but longer conversion times. If you have a specific target device that's support use the preset for that device.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!