VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am shooting clips in MTS that look beautiful, but my editing software does not support MTS files. For the purpose of quality is it better to get software that can support those files, or convert them to another format that my software will read? Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gerby1492 View Post
    I am shooting clips in MTS that look beautiful, but my editing software does not support MTS files. For the purpose of quality is it better to get software that can support those files, or convert them to another format that my software will read? Anyone?
    Please be more specific. What is your hardware? What is that editing software? Download and install MediaInfo, then use it to get detailed info on those *.MTS files (tree view) and post those details here.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for responding. The camera is the JVC Everio GZ-E-100BU, the editing software is AVID Studio 15 Ultimate HD. MediaInfo (according to what I saw) does not support MTS files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have no codecs installed for your video,install ffdshow and then use mediainfo.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be more succinct, I want to know if any of you think that for the best output results I install Studio 17.5 HD (which does support MTS files) or simply convert MTS files to MPEG4 and use them in my current software? I want the produced video to look the best it can be, for the camcorder I currently have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by gerby1492 View Post
    To be more succinct, I want to know if any of you think that for the best output results I install Studio 17.5 HD (which does support MTS files) or simply convert MTS files to MPEG4 and use them in my current software? I want the produced video to look the best it can be, for the camcorder I currently have.
    Depends on what you mean by "convert MTS files to MPEG4" . If you mean re-encoding with a lossy format, then that will be worse quality wise. But if you use high enough bitrates, you might not notice the difference .

If you mean just re-wrapping it (just taking the video & audio out of one container & putting it into another), then there is no quality loss. That might not work for your current software

If it was me, I would prefer native editing, if your hardware was fast enough to handle the MTS files natively
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gerby1492 View Post
    MediaInfo (according to what I saw) does not support MTS files.
    The *.MTS files created by that JVC are AVCHD files, which themselves are a form of MPEG4. By default, your windows 7 (and windows media player that comes with it), should have been able to play these files without installing any other extra codec or such. MediaInfo does not have to support anything; it merely tries to read file headers and tell us exactly what that file is: container type, audio, video, metadata, etc. If those AVCHD files are not recognized in your windoze something else is wrong (some codecs were not installed or were uninstalled by some gritty codec pak previously).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  8. A couple of things -- Avid sold studio long before version 15, so it's just Pinnacle now.

15 should be recent enough to read files from that camera, but try to ingest the entire file structure, starting with the PRIVATE folder instead of clip by clip. That way you maintain metadata and spanned clips properly.

Pinnacle 17 has a 15 day free trial, so you should probably check that out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can try with program AnotherGUI copy codecs into mp4 container
    without reencoding : http://www.stuudio.ee/anothergui/presets.html

Executable: ffmpeg.exe
    Remarks: Will copy video and audio to mp4 container. You can change container/extension to MXF, MOV, MKV, mpg if you like.
    Arguments1:-i "<FullSourceFileName>" -y -threads 1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy "<OutputPath><OutputFileName>.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of you who responded to my post, thank you very much. Each of you had awesome answers.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!