VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Usually Bifrost() or LutDeRainbow() work wonders, but no matter how strong I make these 2 by altering the parameters, the rainbows just will not come out of or reduce any in this source. I have also tried both before and after TIVTC.

Here's an untouched video sample to look at.

https://mega.co.nz/#!cl4wELTS!RM43m7bUnkhu-uIVBlzKWHOiF_FfDiCqmlqzIkkAxcQ

Any suggestions on why I haven't been able to remove them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something like:

Code:
    MergeChroma(last, BicubicResize(width/2,height/2).BicubicResize(width,height).aWarpSharp(depth=30))
    Will get rid of most of it. Following up with some temporal noise filtering will probably get rid of the rest. Small colored object may lose their color though -- like the guys eyes later in the clip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What you suggested seems to have helped some.

Its doing more harm than good though. Its not only losing color in some things but its also thinning lines alot and making it look worse. Several things look ruined as well like all of the background colors and lines and its extremely noticable. Its also ruining the scenes with alot more colors in them. I tried lowering the depth some but then the rainbows are visible again.

BEFORE

AFTER

I thought awarpsharp in mergechroma was a line thinner or chroma sharpener and that's what I've been using it for, why would that get rid of rainbows?

I usually use it like this for chroma sharpening when color is bleeding over lines in both directions.

MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=10))

Ive never used this before, is that the reason?

last, BicubicResize(width/2,height/2).BicubicResize(width,height)
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 10th Aug 2014 at 07:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I thought awarpsharp in mergechroma was a line thinner or chroma sharpener and that's what I've been using it for, why would that get rid of rainbows?
    The combination of downscaleing and upscaling blurs the chroma channels (as well as the luma). aWarpSharp is then used to sharpen the chroma (and luma) channels. MergeChroma then merges the modified chroma with the original luma (throwing away the blurred/sharpened luma).

If you look at the chroma channels you'll see oversharpening (?) halos.

Code:
    StackVertical(UtoY(), VtoY())
    Before the above filtering:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	chroma.png
Views:	388
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	26816

After filtering:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	after.png
Views:	408
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	26817

Feel free to try other resizing and sharpening filters.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Aug 2014 at 09:56.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well it looks like too much detail and or colors are getting ruined with current method.

Lanczosresize usually looks better to me but not in this case, your suggestions looks better.

Do you have an alternate suggestion for the sharpening filter awarpsharp? That seems to be whats doing the things I don't like to the video.

Would another video sample from a completely different scene with alot more colors help you out more?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Do you have an alternate suggestion for the sharpening filter awarpsharp? That seems to be whats doing the things I don't like to the video.
    nnedi3 + mild awarpsharp + mild sharpen

Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Would another video sample from a completely different scene with alot more colors help you out more?
    Probably.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Lanczosresize usually looks better to me but not in this case, your suggestions looks better.

I'd suggest the resizers used by jagabo, or try Spline36Resize. Lanczos never "looks right" to me. It's known to cause the kinds of edge artifacts we're looking at. Here's an old thread you might to look over: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145210.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well here's another untouched sample from another scene then. Hopefully this helps out more as you think. You can see the rainbows and colors ALOT better in this one.

https://mega.co.nz/#!9kwQ2KYC!CRZaw_1xikaqZ3Kiw64faEm24aSa7EAhfRuo4o-BRug
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 11th Aug 2014 at 15:18.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Oops, wrong thread. Deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Oops, wrong thread. Deleted.

Okay Ill check back later for an answer after you seen the other sample I uploaded. See ya Jagabo, and thanks!!
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 11th Aug 2014 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work in my script.

I added in this and it works fine
    Code:
    MergeChroma(last, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(width,height).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))

It looks like this when done.
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGui\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Encodes\Batman Beyond\Season 1\Disc 2\Episode 10\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGui\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGui\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    tfm(order=1).tdecimate(hybrid=0)
    crop( 4, 2, -4, 0)
    MergeChroma(last, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(width,height).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    LanczosResize(640,480) # Lanczos (Sharp)
    hqdering()
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\megui\tools\avisynth_plugin\UnDot.dll")
    Undot() # Minimal Noise
    deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5)
    maa2(ss=3.00)
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=20, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

But I have come across an episode where I wish to use different filters on different frames because the same filters aren't needed on all of the frames.

I use the script like this without the above added in and it works fine.
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\megui\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\megui\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")

source=DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Encodes\Batman Beyond\Season 1\Disc 2\Episode 10\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3).ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0).tfm(order=1).tdecimate(hybrid=0).crop( 4, 2, -4, 0).LanczosResize(640,480)

clip1=Trim(source, 0, 24699).hqdering.Undot().deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5).maa2(ss=3.00).LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=30, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

clip2=Trim(source, 24700, 25147).checkmate(tthr2=0).hqdering.Undot().deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5).maa2(ss=3.00).LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=30, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

clip3=Trim(source, 25148, 30455).hqdering.Undot().deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5).maa2(ss=3.00).LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=30, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

Return clip1 + clip2 + clip3

I added in the above line to the script just like this and I keep getting an error saying "Invalid arguments to function Spline36Resize"
    Code:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\megui\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")

source=DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Encodes\Batman Beyond\Season 1\Disc 2\Episode 10\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3).ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0).tfm(order=1).tdecimate(hybrid=0).crop( 4, 2, -4, 0).MergeChroma(last, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(width,height).aWarpSharp2(depth=6)).LanczosResize(640,480)

clip1=Trim(source, 0, 24699).hqdering.Undot().deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5).maa2(ss=3.00).LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=30, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

clip2=Trim(source, 24700, 25147).checkmate(tthr2=0).hqdering.Undot().deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5).maa2(ss=3.00).LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=30, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

clip3=Trim(source, 25148, 30455).hqdering.Undot().deen("c3d", 0, 5, 5).maa2(ss=3.00).LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, strength=30, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

Why is it working in all of the other episodes but as soon as I try to use it in this one where I'm trimming and using different filters it wants to give me an error?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 13th Aug 2014 at 15:31.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Since you piping the output of mpeg2source to the filter chain, last, width and height aren't defined at the time you are calling Spline36Resize. Run the MergeChroma sequence on a separate line using source instead of last.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Since you piping the output of mpeg2source to the filter chain, last, width and height aren't defined at the time you are calling Spline36Resize. Run the MergeChroma sequence on a separate line using source instead of last.

I'm a tiny bit confused with your reply.

So I add in this as a separate line like this?
    Code:
    source=.MergeChroma(last, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(width,height).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    Are you saying change the word "last" into "source?"

How should I adjust it? Can you alter and paste it?
    Quote Quote  
  14. You should understand this by now: When you don't explicitly name a stream it is given the name "last". When you don't specify a stream by name the stream named "last" is used. In your script you named all your streams so the stream "last" was never created. Width and height refer to last.width and last.height. Since there is no "last" there is no last.width and last.height. Change your line to:

Code:
    source = MergeChroma(source, Spline36Resize(360, 240).LanczosResize(source.width, source.height).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    Quote Quote  
  15. I did what you said to and wrote it exactly as you said and I'm still getting the same error. Invalid arguments to function "spline36resize"

Code:

source=DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Encodes\Batman Beyond\Season 1\Disc 2\Episode 10\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3).ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0).tfm(order=1).tdecimate(hybrid=0).crop( 4, 2, -4, 0).LanczosResize(640,480)

source=MergeChroma(source, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(source.width,source.height).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))

I've tried it in several different places of the script and writing it in different ways as well and with no luck. its always that same error no matter what I've tried so far.

If I edit the line to this in order to get rid of the resize to see if it goes away without it and make it
    Code:
    MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    Then I get "Invalid arguments to function awarpsharp2" so neither one is working apparently.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 15th Aug 2014 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Add "source" as the first argument to Spline36Resize().
    Quote Quote  
  17. I could swear I did that in the script I pasted above, didnt I?

source=MergeChroma(source, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(source.width,source.height ).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    Quote Quote  
  18. Normally what your telling me to do should work, I've never had this issue before but no matter what the hell I do, it doesn't not work with this script at all. Most of the things you've told me are pretty much common sense but its not working with this script. I even tried adding it in the named streams clips 1-3 and it wont work in those either.

I cant even use mergechroma in any way at all in this script or I get an error saying invalid function.

Try actually using the script on the sample clip yourself and see if it works for you. I don't see what your telling me as wrong, but its not working for some unknown reason to me when I try to use it in this script anywhere or anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  19. No, you added source as the first argument to MergeChroma(). Once again, when you don't specify an stream AviSynth assumes "last". Since you didn't specify a stream for Spline36Resize(360,240) it's assuming Spline36Resize(last,360,240). Since there is no last it's giving you an error.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Are you telling me that this line in my script is not specifying the stream named source?

Code:

Everything else seems to work fine in the clip streams when I tell it to use source, but the mergechroma and or the resizer in it doesn't want to.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Eh forget it, since your not just simply correcting it and pasting the entire thing corrected for me to paste, Ill just say screw it and try something else since I cant get it working.

I rewrote the script entirely, this should have the same effect but with spline36resize actually working this time shouldnt it? It looks like its working to me so far with no error stated.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGui\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Encodes\Batman Beyond\Season 1\Disc 2\Episode 10\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGui\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    tfm(order=1).tdecimate(hybrid=0)
    crop( 4, 2, -4, 0)
    LanczosResize(640,480) # Lanczos (Sharp)

source=last

Last edited by killerteengohan; 15th Aug 2014 at 19:41.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Do you understand what jagabo is saying about why it didn't work the 1st time ?

Code:
    source=MergeChroma(source, Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(source.width,source.height ).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    This won't work, because there is no "last". Nothing is called in the script prior to that line (no video is loaded). They are all in the format source=... no clip or video is actually every called, so "last" doesn't exist

MergeChroma() takes 2 arguments: MergeChroma(clipa, clipb). But you only specifed clipa as "source". clipb was never specified, and since "last" doesn't exist, you'll get an error

So if you wanted to stick to using source=... way of formatting you would need

Code:
    source=MergeChroma(source, source.Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(source.width,source.height ).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))

For the second script, there is a "last" defined, because a clip is actually called with DGDecode_mpeg2source . (ie. it's not in the format source=...)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    So if you wanted to stick to using source=... way of formatting you would need

Code:
    source=MergeChroma(source, source.Spline36Resize(360,240).LanczosResize(source.width,source.height ).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    Or:

Code:
    source=MergeChroma(source, Spline36Resize(source,360,240).LanczosResize(source.width,source.height ).aWarpSharp2(depth=6))
    Quote Quote  
  24. I've been playing around with a way to protect parts of the picture that don't have rainbow artifacts by building a mask of strong edges in the chroma channels.

Code:
    function VerticalEdges(clip "clip")
    {
        # find vertical edges
        ConvertToRGB(clip)
        GeneralConvolution(128, "
           0  0 0 
           1 -1 0 
           0  0 0 ", 1)
        ConvertToYV12()

# abs(Y-126)
        Overlay(ColorYUV(last, off_y=-126), ColorYUV(last.Invert(), off_y=-126), mode="add")

ColorYUV(off_y=-15) # threshold to remove small changes
        ColorYUV(gain_y=25000) # blow it out
    }

Mpeg2Source("bmandemuxed1.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 
    src=last

vmask = VerticalEdges(VtoY()) # vertical edges in the V channel
    umask = VerticalEdges(UtoY()) # vertical edges in the U channel
    emask = Overlay(umask, vmask, mode="add") # add them together
    emask = emask.PointResize(src.width, src.height) # make the mask the same size as the source
    emask = emask.mt_expand().GreyScale() # expand the mask pixels

# make a very blurry verion of the image to get rid of chroma rainbows
    BicubicResize(width/4, height/2) # won't work with < mod 8 frame width, < mod 4 frame height
    BicubicResize(width*4, height*2)
    aWarpSharp(depth=30) # sharpen it
    MergeChroma(src,last) # original luma plus blurry chroma

# overlay only the blurry chroma where the mask tells us
    Overlay(src, last, mask=emask)

Interleave(src,last,emask) # show original, cleaned, and the mask we used
    You can remove the mt_expand() to protect small colored areas better but then it will miss some of the rainbows. You can play around with the threshold value used in building the mask to get more or less edges, the amount and method of sharpening the shrunken/stretched (blurred) image, and the method of expanding the emask pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks you two! showing me the second source in red and explaining clipa and clipb helped me to understand it fully now.

As for the mask, Ill give that a try when I get the chance and see if the results are more to my liking than what I used.

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!