VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey, so I recorded a rock concert on a beach in Egypt, and had to set my record volume realllllly low to get clean sound. The next day, I filmed some random stuff, but I had no idea that using the automatic mode on the camera (a Canon XL1) doesn't override the audio level setting, so I'm left with very low volume on those clips.
    I'm aware that I can just turn it up in a video editing, but with a poor signal/noise ratio. But, is there a better way? I'm sure the self-noise from the motor holds fairly steady. Can I use part of the recording with no sound (except noise) to analyze and remove the noise in the rest? I think you could do that sort of thing way back with Nero wave editor. I downloaded audacity...is there a tool in that that might help?
    I have only listened to the audio through headphones plugged into the camera. I haven't actually tried boosting them on the computer to see how much noise I'll be dealing with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity can do it but as mentioned the background noise will also be boosted, maybe post a short clip of the audio so we can have a go at it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Audacity can do it but as mentioned the background noise will also be boosted, maybe post a short clip of the audio so we can have a go at it.
    Yeah, I suppose I should at least listen to it first. Maybe I can turn it up and it will be acceptable. I'll post it ASAP
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can I use part of the recording with no sound (except noise) to analyze and remove the noise in the rest?
    Perhaps like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKX6p85R2M
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Can I use part of the recording with no sound (except noise) to analyze and remove the noise in the rest?
    Perhaps like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKX6p85R2M
    Yeah. That's the one. I'll give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For Audacity: In case you don't already have you'll probably want to install Lame/FFmpeg
    Quote Quote