VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I cannot get Malwarebytes to install and run. I'm getting the following pop up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-08_170624.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	26793Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-08_170658.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	26794Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-08_170719.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	26795Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-08_170739.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	26796

I have also got a virus a programme called istartsurf.com that's taken over my browser.

Grateful for some advice.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may need to run RKill first....or
    RogueKiller
    ComboFix
    AdwCleaner
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Your profile has no details about your PC or operating system. Some of the repairs suggested will not run in Windows 8.1.

Malwarebytes should be able to run using its Chameleon utility in all versions of Windows. If you have malware that prevents installing the fixes mentioned, try this first: Reboot Windows into "Safe Mode With Networking". This starts Windows in Safe Mode but will activate your internet connection in the background. In Safe Mode, download the MBAM Chameleon utility to your desktop or to the downloads folder: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/chameleon. Unzip that zip file. It will unzip into a subfolder named "Chameleon". Go into the Chameleon subfolder, where you will find another subfoloder named "Windows". Open the Windows subfolder, where you'll see several files. One is a ".chm" help file with detailed instructions. The other is a file called "mbam-chameleon.exe". Double-click that .exe file to run the app. It will run in a small command prompt window. Follow instructions.

If it fails to run, look into the .chm help file for some workarounds.

If those steps fail, your next recourse is to run Kaspersky's tdss killer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/. Put it on your desktop. It's a small executable that runs very quickly. It searches only for specific malware.

If that doesn't work, your last recourse is ComboFix, which is a slowpoke but thorough scanner that runs in a command prompt window. NOTE: WILL NOT RUN IN Windows 8.1 . You can download to your desktop from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/ , but read the instructions first! If you need help with it or don't want to run it on your own, create a free account at BleepingComputer and they'll help you with it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/welcome-guide/.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If all of that fails, try starting in 'Safe Mode' with the internet unplugged. Safe Mode keeps most malware from starting. Stayed unplugged from the internet keeps malware from reloading from the net. Then you may able to run anti-malware programs. Usually the 'F8' key tapped during boot will get you a menu with Safe Mode listed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Safe Mode keeps most malware from starting. Stayed unplugged from the internet keeps malware from reloading from the net.
    Not quite. Safe mode keeps some malware from running. Staying unplugged from the internet is no assurance. Malware is already on the computer, it doesn't need the internet to "reload" anything. Many malware infections have copies of themselves in Windows restore points as well as copies of their runtime binary code in your registry. Most rootkit hijackers start running before Windows does.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a variety of offline A/V tools, you burn them to a CD and boot from it.
    MS has one, Windows Defender Offline.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline
    Quote Quote  
  7. Safe Mode.
    Disconnect Internet.
    EMPTY ALL TEMP DIRECTORIES. MANUALLY.
    Rkill. You may need to download this first. BleepingComputer.com. Love those guys.
    Carefully examine ALL Application and AppData directories. See the comments on TDSSKiller below.
    MalwareBytes install, update, run. Full Scan. Faster scans are a waste of time.
    TDSSKiller. You need someone experienced to interpret results. it is NOT SAFE to simply delete anything this program finds.
    CCleaner
    Reboot to normal mode. Repeat Rkill, temp directory clean, App directory check, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner.

ComboFix is a last resort. Do NOT repeat NOT interrupt this program or do ANYTHING with the computer while it is running. Do this ONLY if all other steps do not remove it, and get somebody who knows what they are doing to look at the PC first.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Safe Mode.
    Disconnect Internet.
    EMPTY ALL TEMP DIRECTORIES. MANUALLY.
    Rkill. You may need to download this first. BleepingComputer.com. Love those guys.
    Carefully examine ALL Application and AppData directories. See the comments on TDSSKiller below.
    MalwareBytes install, update, run. Full Scan. Faster scans are a waste of time.
    TDSSKiller. You need someone experienced to interpret results. it is NOT SAFE to simply delete anything this program finds.
    CCleaner
    Reboot to normal mode. Repeat Rkill, temp directory clean, App directory check, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner.

ComboFix is a last resort. Do NOT repeat NOT interrupt this program or do ANYTHING with the computer while it is running. Do this ONLY if all other steps do not remove it, and get somebody who knows what they are doing to look at the PC first.
    Could you clarify: is it necessary to do all your recommendations or is it enough to do some of them? Because the whole way looks long and difficult to control and understand results.
    Quote Quote  
  9. In some cases, you can do less and it will solve the problem.

In some cases, I can do all that and more and it still is not solved.

The temp directory clean, Rkill, MalwareBytes, and CCleaner can all be run safely and easily by novices and should complete in 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the PC and its state of performance and maintenance. Whether or not that is "enough" is a complete and total crap shoot.

I don't get paid to come close, I get paid to SOLVE the problem. The quoted section IS the simplified version.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!