VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'll try to describe what I'm trying to do. I'm not too sure if the title I chose is the correct way of saying it. I want to be able to edit a video using a timeline. Where I can see frame by frame the video. Maybe by scrolling left or right to forward or back in the video.

The big picture what I'm trying to do is cut out small portions of video that I will then convert to GIF. That is the end game and I know how to convert them to GIF. What I need is some easy way to scroll through a video frame by frame or somewhat close to that. So I can go to the areas of the video that I want to edit. I'm not sure if this makes sense. I've spent today trying to find this.

What software can do this? I prefer free software of course. I don't need any special effects or anything like that. Just the ability to see everything frame by frame in a timeline. I have downloaded Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 free from their site. It is older software. But, the learning curve is just way too high. I'm not looking to be an expert video editor. I just need something that I can edit with based on a timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  2. virtualdub

it can export directly to animated gif as well
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    virtualdub

Thank you. I notice that the quality of the GIF maybe a little lower than I like. Is there a way to improve the quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ShakeIt View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    virtualdub

Thank you. I notice that the quality of the GIF maybe a little lower than I like. Is there a way to improve the quality?
    That's a common complaint. There are other ways, other programs to make GIF's , many free. You can still use vdub to do the editing and export a lossless AVI. Within vdub you can try creating a palletized AVI first

See this thread for suggestions, settings and some other programs you can use
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365696-avi-to-Gif-%28High-quality%29

It also depends on type of content. You might use different techniques to optimize the gif. e.g. a simple cartoon vs. a live action film
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ShakeIt View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    virtualdub

Maybe you didn't know this: GIF uses 8bit Palettized color vs. the usual 24bit color. So you have to intelligently (and in keeping with the kind of content you have) reduce down the # of colors (from 16m+ -> 256). This usually includes dither (and there are a variety of types/algorithms of dither), but not necessarily.

Regardless, the quality will "suffer".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you already know how to create animated GIF, use Virtualdub to scroll through you video, set in and out points and export an image sequences. Now you can make your gif from the image sequence.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you all for the suggestions. I've really enjoyed using Virtualdub. It doesn't get better than free and it is easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!