VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried to read up on media streaming via Universal Media Server, or Plex and have not been able to figure this one out. I hopefully now know how to rip a 3D Bluray to my hard drive although this has been a challenge - cannot seem to get the 3D to play. Once on the hard drive I have tried streaming via WD TVLive, the TV (Sony W840a) and my PS3. I'm using Universal Media Server for most streaming and am playing with Plex and WMP a bit as well. I have had no success playing the hard drive back-up as a 3D bluray. I have used the following and others: MKV (Makemkv) or ISO (Bluray copy), or DVDFAB.

Is there a way to stream and play these files via UMS, Plex or WMP to my home theatre system in 3D? Any thoughts as to why I cannot play them back. The 3D's are purchased copies, region 2 that I bought from Amazon UK by mistake. Last thing, this is streamed wirelessly through the house.

Thanks, appreciate any help I can get.
    Last edited by doggyofone; 8th Aug 2014 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Before I go into suggestions, I'll need to know exactly and in detail your equipment (model #s, etc), system specs (OS, apps used, etc), and a step-by-step walkthrough of your current workflow...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for responding Scott. I have an i74700HQ, 12 megs ram, Geforce GT750M and Intel HD 4600, ASUS. Samsumg EVO 128 for programs and OS - Windows 8.1, Dell monitor.
    Home theatre - x 2: Sony W950A (Canadian model) with an Onkyo TX-NR 3800 receiver, Sony HW30ESB projector with a Yamaha AVR 1010. On system 1 I have a WDTV Live, XBOX (don't use) and a Sony BDP5200, on system 2 a PS3 and WDTV Live.
    I stream via Universal Media Server, testing Plex and WMP sometimes. No issues with 2D streaming, although the WDTV can be iffy at times. I'm connected via powerline on both, but have good wireless signals as well.
    Software rippers - MAKEMKV, Blu-ray Copy, DVDFAB 9 and Handbrake - which I haven't used for ripping.
    I have ripped with all multiple times and today I finally got a split screen 3D image on my PC monitor with DVDFAB. When streamed to system 1 via Plex the image is split screen as well - two similar images side by side.
    I have ripped with Blu-Ray copy, but the image did not appear split.
    My question with all of this is how do I watch the ripped/copied movies through the systems I have?

FYI came across some instructions to use Imgburn to create the ISO file of a BD. Giving that a try, but still need to be able to stream an ISO file.
    Last edited by doggyofone; 9th Aug 2014 at 20:26. Reason: An FYI
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, to get us on the same page, I will reiterate what I see that you've got WRT 3D.

Laptop's video card (GT750M) is nVidia 3DVision compliant. HDMI + miniDP out. Assuming your vid drivers are ok, should be good to go.
    Sony W950 is good Active3D TV, which should have no trouble with both Auto-Enabled 3D, via HDMI 1.4-compliant SEI messaging, or Manual 3D, via your remote choice.
    UMS is capable of streaming (and recognizing) SbS 3D. Other 3D formats, it could probably still stream, but wouldn't recognize as "3D". This includes MVC, A/B (aka O/U aka TaB), Interlaced, Checkerboard, Anaglyph, or any other format. Doesn't say whether that means just Half-SbS (the common layout standard) or also includes Full-SbS (e.g. a 3840x1080 size).
    DVDFab's Blu-ray Copy is capable of ripping BD3Ds in a couple of options, though I'm still dubious about the "full 3DBD50->3DBD25" option. Regardless, you should be successful in ripping a 3DBD (movie-only) to 3DBD SbS, which should make it quite compatible with most everything else in your system.
    Can't tell how your system is configured (does switching go through the TV or through the receiver), but it doesn't matter too much in your case, because the Onkyo receiver is HDMI 1.4a compatible, including EXPLICITLY 3D (assuming you have the TX-NR-3008: there is no NR-3800 on Onkyo's website so I just assumed that was a typo).
    PS3 and WDTV both have -some- 3D capability.

So for file-based playback, you need:
    1. 3D source files
    2. 3D player app w/ 3D-compliant video out
    3. 3D transmission path (usually HDMI)
    4. 3D TV/display
    5. 3D glasses

You've got #3, 4, 5 for sure.

For streaming based playback, you now have :
    1. 3D source files
    2. Streaming server + streaming network infrastructure
    3. 3D streaming client+player app w/ 3D-compliant video out
    4. 3D transmission path (usually HDMI)
    5. 3D TV/display
    6. 3D glasses

So, you've got #2, 4, 5, 6.

#3 would be the 3D HTPC itself (if using an on-PC player app, such as Stereoscopic Player/nVidia 3DVision player, bino, Potplayer, or ArcSoft TMT, etc - in which case it wouldn't need to "stream" but just go out the HDMI), or it would be the WDTV/WDTV-Live or the PS3. Both of those device types will recognize a 3D format under certain circumstances, but not in others (e.g. PS3 recognizes 3DBD, but nothing else, WDTV may recognize SbS & TaB MKVs that have the proper metadata). Without one of those recognizing it as 3D, it won't "Automatically" go into 3D mode.

Here's the thing: for SbS or TaB, it doesn't matter if the server or player or transmission path supports "3D" or not, because even if those devices/pathways all see it as only 2D, you can still MANUALLY turn on 3D support on the TV and choose the correct option (SbS or TaB, depending).

So then it is really just a matter of knowing whether you have proper 3D source files (#1). This depends on how you rip. If all your original sources are 3DBD and you are ripping with Blu-ray Copy to MKV/MP4 in SbS mode, you should be fine. MakeMKV doesn't seem to handle 3D correctly AFAIK. Nor Handbrake. Nor regular DVDFab. There ARE a few others that can (please see some recent past S3D posts that I was involved in).

Understand that 3D on BD is stored in MVC+AVC interleaved video streams, contained in the M2TS + SSIF files. Standard 2D rippers can only see the M2TS/AVC portion, not the SSIF/MVC portion, so they ruin it for 3D (though 2D would still be ok).

Also, when a 3DBD is played out via HDMI, it is reformatted into the "Frame-Packing" transmission method, which is a proprietary 1920x2205 @ 24Fps signal that includes the SEI signaling metadata that enables the Auto3D. Other forms of 3D may or may not generate that metadata, but 3DBD (when still intact) is the only one that is guaranteed to generate it. Rippers, incl. Blu-ray Copy, may or may NOT leave the ripped-3DBD metadata intact for subsequent playback.

I would suggest you try a NON-streaming pathway first, using a known-good SbS 3D file and manually engaging SbS 3D on your TV. If that all works correctly, you should be able to do the same thing with streaming.

Scott

<edit>BTW, I didn't mention the 3D capabilities of your projector: it should be equally as capable and work in a similar fashion to the 3DTV, assuming you have the 3D-Glasses-Sync-Transmitter addon. Without it, 3D won't work. PERIOD.</edit>
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 9th Aug 2014 at 21:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Scott, thanks for taking the time and providing a ton of information. I'm going to work on this and try to resolve with what I have available. Great support.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used bytecopy to bytecopy to backup all my 3D blu-rays into lossless MKV and 3D MKV, the output files plays with excellent video and audio quality on my computer as well as WD TV Live.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9385/~/3d-support-on-wd-tv-live-products

Any support for 3D playback on a WDTV product is accidental and there's no way in hell you can back up 3D blu rays losslessly AND play them back on a WD TV Live.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just what I was thinking as well. Also, "bytecopy" is not their product that purports to work with 3DBDs, "bdmagic" is (no comment ).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!