VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to make youtube blog videos and this guy has nice clear videos I like this style a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDuBaGXZsw
    He says he uses a Canon 60D and thats like $700 without any special lens.

I went to BestBuy and they told me I should only use a camera like that if I'm taking still pictures, if Im taking videos then I should get a camcorder with a higher resolution
    so Im thinking of buying this http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDRCX240-.../dp/B00HNJWWK2
    which is way way cheaper.

Do you think with the cheaper camera I could get nice clear results like the video above?
    Also any advice on lighting? He must use great lighting to be clear like that. I want to buy everything on amazon to get it going.
    thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. For this kind of static, controlled shot the 60D will blow the CX240 out of the water. Much better lens, much bigger sensor. If you want to know how it's lit, look at the reflection in his eyes. Looks like a single soft source, probably an incandescent bulb in a reflector and an overhead room light.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    For this kind of static, controlled shot the 60D will blow the CX240 out of the water. Much better lens, much bigger sensor. If you want to know how it's lit, look at the reflection in his eyes. Looks like a single soft source, probably an incandescent bulb in a reflector and an overhead room light.
    Thank you so so much. Yeah I wont be making a lot of movements, mostly sitting in place and talking.
    With this camera would I need to buy an additional lens or should I be able to get results like that out of the box with great lighting?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by macrochap View Post
    With this camera would I need to buy an additional lens or should I be able to get results like that out of the box with great lighting?
    The included kit lens will more than suffice for your immediate needs. If and when you outgrow it, you will know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Other things you should do:

Make sure the background isn't too detailed (depth-of-field blurred is best) and has NO MOTION. Otherwise Youtube's low bitrate encoding will be wasted on the background.

Use bright lighting. Low light levels give noisy video. That's another killer of compression. You don't want youtube wasting bitrate encoding all that noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One more word: TRIPOD.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Aug 2014 at 14:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Never go to Best Buy for any kind of technical help.
    2. A DSLR like the 60D will *always* provide more vibrant photos or videos than a video camera with a video lens. The DSLR allows for bokeh. In short, bokeh makes things very pleasing to the eye. It applies to both still photos and video.
    3. In the example, he uses excellent, 3-point lighting.

I hope this helps! Best of luck on your endeavor.
    Lowell Niles
    Creative Director, Sunword Studios
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by macrochap View Post
    I went to BestBuy and they told me
    Originally Posted by lniles View Post
    Exactly!!!!
    99.9% of the time the monkeys that work there know less than you do and just talk a good BS to try and get you to spend
    more money on something they make more money off of!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lniles View Post
    2. A DSLR like the 60D will *always* provide more vibrant photos or videos than a video camera with a video lens. The DSLR allows for bokeh. In short, bokeh makes things very pleasing to the eye. It applies to both still photos and video.
    3. In the example, he uses excellent, 3-point lighting.

I hope this helps! Best of luck on your endeavor.
    Wrong. DSLR cameras shot worse quality video than camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post

Wrong. DSLR cameras shot worse quality video than camcorders.
    Meaningless generalization. For example, Canon 7Ds have been used on a lot more theatrical features than Sony CX240s -- for good reason.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!