VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, so I just converted some mkv files to mp4, but the subtitle didn't show by default on the tv and the tv couldn't turn the subtitle on.... So, I wondered if there are any softwares that can convert a file without doing anything with the video and audio but only the subtitle, and it would better if the software could do that with many files at once. I would also appreciate if you could recommend a good converting tool so I don't have deal with this problem again.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardsubbing requires re-encoding the video. There's no way around it. That said, you can hardsub with a number of programs, including VirtualDub, XVid4PSP, Handbrake, AVIDemux, etc.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh well.. nothing to do with that then. But, do you know any programs that can hardsub numerous files at once, without loosing the video quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder will hardsub lots of files in batch mode but you will always lose a bit of quality no matter what you do when you re-encode,just keep up the bitrate and you won't notice.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Handbrake/Vidcoder is somewhat limited when it comes to hardcoding sub titles

There is a beta version of Vidcoder that can hardcode .srt subtitles.

Or you could try MediaCoder without the ransomware

But what's your OS? What's the subtitle format? Are they muxed into the MKV or are they separate files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder isn't limited to hardcode subbing in any version,just use the tools import que and have the subs the same name as the videos.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use windows, and the subtitle is muxed into the MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ricesniffer - Maybe it would be better to name your playback device and model and explain the format and naming of your files. Are you using MKV with the subs muxed as you say in post #7? Then what is your playback device? You may just need to have external subtitles with the same name as the video file minus the extension. For example if your video is name MyVideo.MKV then having the subtitles in a file name MyVideo.SRT may be enough to get them to work. Some playback devices have restrictions on subtitle formats, names, whether they are supported within MKV or not, etc. That's why we need to know more about what you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!