VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ,

since I discovered tsmuxer, I find it very interesting to recreate BDs, mixing my Bollywood Blu-Rays with my french subs.
    A great tool !

Now I would like to transform my karaoke video-clips, joining 50 clips on one BD. And adding my french translation, too!

Here is what I do:

1. Extract the VOB file from the DVD with DVDfab, DVDshrink, or PGCdemux.
    2. Create the ass file with aegisub (karaoke effects)
    3. Hardcode the ass file and the vob file with VirtualDubMod.

And there, I am a bit lost. I tried several encoding ways, in order to open the file with tsmuxer. But, between the three choices given by VDM, avi, ogm, and mkv, it seems that only mkv files can be opened by tsmuxer.

And I get the same error each time:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mkv error.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	26757

How can I correct my error, please?

Maybe I must open not a vob file in VDM, but already a compressed one?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Something weird happened with your audio. This is definitely an audio problem. What exactly are you doing with the audio in VirtualDubMod? VDM is not a great program for working with audio. Maybe it is changing the audio header to something strange that tsmuxer doesn't understand. You might try demuxing the audio into a separate file and just add it by itself to the video in tsmuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Patapin View Post
    I tried several encoding ways, in order to open the file with tsmuxer. But, between the three choices given by VDM, avi, ogm, and mkv, it seems that only mkv files can be opened by tsmuxer.

And I get the same error each time:
    Exactly, TSmuxer supports H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2, and none of these video formats is suitable for the AVI and OGM containers.
    Besides, the MKV support in VirtualDubMod is very-outdated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jman98, hi El Heggunte

Thanks for your answers.

Well, under VDM, I create video clips with karaoke effects. I haven't found yet another program to do so. It's just a shame that I am obliged to hardcode the subs. It would be so simple to read a vob file with an ass file, but it doesn't exist yet. Or yes, but the karaoke effects are not read;

With your help, I solved my problem this way:

1. Under VDM I create an avi file from original vob and ass file created with aegisub. I use lagarith codec.
    2. With Freemake Video Converter, I convert my avi file into a vob file
    3. Now I can import this vob file in tsmuxer, then add my srt.

It's a bit special, but it has worked. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you hardcoding the subtitles? If not, I don't understand why you are converting to AVI first. That's a very ugly workflow. Can you not just take the VOB file you get and use MKVToolnix (I think the program you need is mmg) to use that VOB plus your subtitles to make an MKV file? You could open that in tsmuxer. Much simpler than your current VOB -> AVI + subtitles -> VOB workflow. That would be just VOB + subtitles -> MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jman98,

yes, I am obliged to hardcode the subs. If not, the karaoke effects don't appear.
    I have tried the beautiful MKVToolnix, alas ass effects are not supported.

But you're perfectly right, what I do is an ugly workflow. I hope one day matroska files will be able to read the aegisub karaoke effects files.
    For the moment, only VDM can join these files to the video.
    And don't worry, my avi file has a good quality. I use Freemake Video Converter to convert the vob, it's pretty good (although it adds a logo at the end of the file) and respects the original format.

You see, I am a kind of perfectionnist, and when I create a karaoke clip in the original language, I liked to translate it in french, too, and make rhymes (this explains why I add srt files). I must be crazy somewhere!
    Last edited by Patapin; 8th Aug 2014 at 04:15.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explanation. If you have to hardcode the subtitles, then I understand your workflow. I made a couple of DVDs for a friend as a one time job where I had to hardcode simplified Chinese subtitles into the video. The easiest way for me to do it was to encode to AVI and hardcode the subtitles, just like you, but I used Xvid4PSP. Then I re-encoded that back to MPEG-2 for DVD. If you use a high bit rate, it's not bad. Doing it any other way was going to take more time than it was worth as it was a favor and I wasn't getting paid for it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it's been only a few months since I began to rebuild Blu-Ray Discs, and now I find it easier than recreating DVDs. And the subs heve beautiful fonts.

I'll try Xvid4PSP, thank you for the tip!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!