VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I put a DVD-RW recorded by Pioneer and not finalized into my PC BD drive and ejected it. Thereby the lamp flashed a long time and now the DVD is corrupt. Cannot be recognized or played. Power DVD says there is no disc in drive. Isobuster can find all the files but takes long time.

So, what the hell does Windows 7 with media???

I had adjusted Windows in global settings not to do anything upon eject, but it did it anyway.

TIA for help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The disk was NOT finalised. How do expect anything to recognise it or play it ?

AFAIK Win7 or any other OS for that matter does not write anything to any media without some software intervention.

Did you try to finalise this disk in Win7 with software ? If you did that could explain a lot.

Does the Pioneer read the drive ? Maybe that is what you meant by 'cannot be recognised or played'. But you are a little ambigious there.

However long it takes, let isobuster extract the data. And remember next time to finalise the disk before trying to play it on other equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,
    thanks for your reply. I did not use any software to finalise this DVD. I only looked at the tracks with TMPG AW4 and it showed them. Also I tried to play the DVD in VLC player which could not and sent error messages unlimited number. Then to stop these I pressed the eject button on the drive and some software was writing something on the DVD as it did not eject but flash the green light some minutes. IMHO this could only be the operating system as no other burning software was running!!! Now, when I insert this DVD into the PC, Windows does not show any files, it says 0 bytes used and 4,38 GB free. The Pioneer stand alone DVD recorder cannot play this DVD also.
    Isobuster shows only 1 track with 4,38 GB size but no UDF system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by 'looked at the tracks' ?. VLC does not write to a disk but I suspect that TMPG does and that very act could have screwed up the disk.

Mere ejecting, even forced ejecting, would not do more 'damage'
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Win 7 doesn't maliciously destroy DVDs. Your assumptions are not correct. Windows does not greedily search for unfinalized RW discs and write to them.

First of all, for those who read this thread, the OP used a DVD recorder and failed to finalize the DVD-RW disc. This is not as clear as it could have been.

When you don't finalize DVDs, you can't expect PCs to be able to do anything with them. It is also possible for RW discs to simply go bad. It happens. I've seen it happen after one write. Sometimes they last for years. Sometimes they last once. My rule is that if one goes bad, it's best to just toss it in the trash and use another one. RW discs aren't designed for permanent storage anyway so they aren't worth fooling with if they develop even small problems. Just get another one.

The ONLY reliable RW media is that made by Verbatim. Period. Since the odds are good that you are not using Verbatim, I can assure you that whatever other brand you bought, it's crap and you'll have fewer problems if you switch to Verbatim. Any other RW media is just a waste of money.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The problem is not the medium, it is the software. I have many DVDs from different brands since 2003 and they are still working!!!

TMPG did not write as I run only the add file wizard and it showed all tracks on the DVD. Then I closed the program without editing anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wolfgang_b View Post
    I have many DVDs from different brands since 2003 and they are still working!!!
    You are not making any sense. How many of these "many DVDs from different brands" are like this one:
    a DVD-RW recorded by Pioneer and not finalized
    ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You still do not make sense.

How can software - simple software like TMPG rather than deep analysis software like isobuster - show the tracks on an un-finalised disk ?

And what is this 'Add file wizard' ?. If that does not write to a disk, or attempt to do so, how can it add anything ?

This is a theory. Now any data on a disk is stored in sessions. If you simply can add more data, everything in the previous session is lost - you can not see it. So this 'wizard' must first re-open that closed session and to do so WRITES to the disk.

Bottom line. You screwed up the disk using that software. Had the disk been finalised it might have worked.

Or. Do you ALWAYS use un-finalised disks in this software?

We have scraps of info to work on and although it is early I am already tired of double-guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. When you insert any media in a Windows PC it will automatically perform some action for that media. In Win 7 the default action for most media is set to "Ask Me", now if you changed anything in the Autorun panel, are you sure of what you did?

One of the actions performed by Windows on blank discs is to prepare the disc for packet writing (formatting); it seems to me that you might have set the DVD movie action to do nothing, but remember that when you insert an un-finalized disc in a Windows PC it will see it as a blank disc even if it has a movie on it and if the Blank DVD action is to format, there goes your data.

Your best option is to hit the reset default action button or just turn autoplay off (notice the check box at the top of the page).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course software can also alter autoplay settings.

For example, PowerDVD can be configured to auto start on insertion of a dvd disk.

But what of TMPG ? Does that startup when you insert a disk ? It still puzzles me of what you were trying to do there.
    Quote Quote  
  11. TAW is able to import from DVD-VR discs, so even if the disc is un-finalised it can still read it; no deep analysis needed. The add file wizard only reads from media, it never writes.

The only plausible reason for is issue is that Windows formatted the disc when it was inserted, either automatically due to an autoplay action or he didn't read the pop-up and clicked on the wrong button.

Best way to test the theory, close all programs, stick a blank disc in the drive and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is not the medium, it is the software. I have many DVDs from different brands since 2003 and they are still working!!!

TMPG did not write as I run only the add file wizard and it showed all tracks on the DVD. Then I closed the program without editing anything.
    It's well known that years ago just about every major manufacturer (Maxell was among the exceptions) used high quality manufacturers for their discs. So yes, I certainly can believe that your old DVDs are fine. But that doesn't mean that every possible disc you buy today is great. Only Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden care any more about the quality of their burnable discs, but TY doesn't make RW media. The problem may not be your brand of RW discs, but I warned you that nobody but Verbatim makes good quality RW discs. Believe me, I care not even a little tiny bit what you buy. Just trying to help. Ignore it if you wish.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But why call it 'add file' if it does not write to disk ?

The OP stated he could 'see the tracks' in TMPG. Did he mean then he could see the actual recorded files as per your read scenario or something else ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Ok. But why call it 'add file' if it does not write to disk ?
    "Add file" simply reads material into your project (and in some circumstances, with your explicit permission, copies it to your HDD.) Burning to disc is a whole other function.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Got it

Still a bad choice of words IMHO. 'Import File Wizard' would have been somewhat clearer.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    TAW is able to import from DVD-VR discs, so even if the disc is un-finalised it can still read it; no deep analysis needed. The add file wizard only reads from media, it never writes.

The only plausible reason for is issue is that Windows formatted the disc when it was inserted, either automatically due to an autoplay action or he didn't read the pop-up and clicked on the wrong button.

Best way to test the theory, close all programs, stick a blank disc in the drive and see what happens.
    Yes, you are right!
    TAW4 is able to open an unfinalized DVD-RW. As it showed the contents correctly, Windows did not do anything when I inserted the DVD. So autoplay is unimportant.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!