VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there,
    I am in process of capturing my old VHS tapes. I have some tapes recorded in NTSC and PAL. I have successfully captured in RAW format all my NTSC tapes. Now I want to start the same process for my PAL recorded tapes. What setting do I have to change within VirtalDub? How I can switch from NTSC format to PAL in VirtualDub.

As you can see on the picture, my standard video format is not changeable from this window.
    [Attachment 26748 - Click to enlarge]

BTW, my VHS player is multisystem (PAL and NTSC).

Thanks in advance,

koze
    Quote Quote  
  2. The equivalent PAL settings would be 25fps, 720x576. Presumably you have to change the settings on your capture hardware (whatever that may be) as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    RGB24?! No no no.

It's entirely possible your capture drivers don't offer PAL support, though that would certainly place it in the vast minority. Even if it does, you may still be out of luck with this capture device as I think it's unlikely the VCR outputs a real PAL signal (I don't recall how multisystem VCRs sold in North America work though; maybe they don't have the same problem as the Euro machines playing real NTSC).
    Last edited by Brad; 7th Aug 2014 at 01:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you use this same "multisystem" machine to capture the NTSC or do you have two different machines?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, all works now. But I am getting way too many inserted frames although there are not dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    While I try to capture some PAL tapes my Current error varies from 208ms to -100ms. Is it normal?
    Additionally within 5 minutes of capturing in PAL I have got 120 frames inserted.
    My CPU is about 15% used.
    Average rate is 24.62679 fps.
    And I don't have any frames dropped.

Thank you for your suggestions,

koze
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you try iuVCR instead of Virtualdub ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I captured quite few NTSC VHS tapes with Virtualdub. I would like to use the same program for PAL. Is any problem with Virtualdub capturing PAL?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Of course Virtualdub can capture PAL video. But you need to determine exactly what your VCR is putting out. Most VHS decks sold in North America don't play PAL tapes properly. Do you know that your VHS deck plays PAL tapes? Does it output a PAL signal? Is it a converting player that converts PAL to NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, not intrinsically. But Virtualdub in general is tricky, there are so many settings,
    some right for different system conditions, hardware,etc,etc.
    Perhaps something in the capture timing settings is off.

What is your capture device ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    No, not intrinsically. But Virtualdub in general is tricky, there are so many settings,
    some right for different system conditions, hardware,etc,etc.
    Perhaps something in the capture timing settings is off.

What is your capture device ?
    I am using LeadTek WinFast TV2000 XP RM Analog TV Capture PCI Card
    on Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Of course Virtualdub can capture PAL video. But you need to determine exactly what your VCR is putting out. Most VHS decks sold in North America don't play PAL tapes properly. Do you know that your VHS deck plays PAL tapes? Does it output a PAL signal? Is it a converting player that converts PAL to NTSC?
    My VCR: Sony VHS SLV-ED828ME
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you set "Colour System" to PAL? See page 53 of the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Did you set "Colour System" to PAL? See page 53 of the manual.
    yes
    Quote Quote  
  15. It looks like that deck should be putting out a standard PAL signal when playing a PAL tape.

Try turning off the re-sync A/V option in VirtualDub. Play with the other options there too. Capture -> Timing...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!