VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I honestly can't believe I haven't figured out how to troubleshoot around this yet.

I have used Roxio's Toast, iDVD, Wondershare, and a few simpler burning programs as well, but it seems no matter what I do or what settings I use, the disc will burn with two enclosed folders (video_TS and audio_TS) which are not playable.

While I've realized I can somewhat work around this by going directly my computer's DVD player and hitting play, this doesn't allow for the disc to actually load and provide an interactive main menu where the viewer can select what they would like to watch. Also, I assume putting this disc in my TV's dvd player would also work, but what do I have to do to put this in my computer's disc drive and simply have it load like any other DVD would?

I hope this makes sense, and I hope I am just missing something incredibly simple and I appreciate ANY help!
    Last edited by Cassandy; 6th Aug 2014 at 09:37.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ADDITIONAL INFO: I should also mention that the files I'm trying to burn to the disc are .MOV files
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A dvd is a video_ts and audio_ts folder. You can always use VLC media player and choose to open a dvd or folder(video_ts folder) and it should play the menus as a normal dvd.

I have no idea why it wont "autoplay" as a normal dvd though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are making your own DVDs from .mov files, there will not be menus unless you make and author one. Some authoring programs are movie only and you don't say in your post if you created a menu.

Make sure you have properly setup AutoPlay in Windows for the DVD to play automatically when inserted into the computer.
    Last edited by Vidd; 6th Aug 2014 at 09:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't toast make menus?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry--yes, I have tried creating customized menus with the software listed above.

Also, where the settings have allowed for it, I have even chosen to 'automatically play' when the disc is inserted. I am burning these at work for clients, and I ideally would like to ensure that when these clients put the discs in any computer's disc drive, the disc will cooperatively play for them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cassandy View Post
    Sorry--yes, I have tried creating customized menus with the software listed above.

Also, where the settings have allowed for it, I have even chosen to 'automatically play' when the disc is inserted. I am burning these at work for clients, and I ideally would like to ensure that when these clients put the discs in any computer's disc drive, the disc will cooperatively play for them.
    Auto Play can't be guaranteed to work for at least a couple of reasons that I know of, possibly more.
    1) The computer simply may not have the necessary software to support DVD playback.
    2) Some computers may deliberately disable Auto Play for security reasons.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it sounds like even though I'm only being shown a video_TS folder and audio_TS folder, it's all actually completely fine?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There would be problem if you did not see the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. The folders you are seeing is what is to be expected. That is what a DVD is.

For your purposes, it seems like you should recommend to your clients that they play the disc in a standard DVD player rather than a computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A "DVD-Video" is not just 2 folders. Nor is it just a couple of files named *.VOB stuck in those folders.

A "DVD-Video" has to be encoded & authored in order for it to fulfill the 142* requirements necessary for them to be considered acceptable for playback.

Your problem, if you even have one, is "is this disc properly encoded & authored, such that it can play in standard DVD players (hardware or software)?"

So, stick the DVD in a hardware player. Does it play correctly? If the disc doesn't play correctly, you have to start all over with better source material, better encoding & authoring apps, better settings, better burners and/or better media (one or more or all of the above). If it does play correctly, your disc was properly prepared. Then it is just a matter of finding why SOFTWARE players aren't doing it correctly.

So, stick the DVD in a computer BUT DON'T RUN ANY APP YET.
    Then, open up one of the standard "DVD Player" apps: Corel WinDVD, Cyberlink PowerDVD, or ArcSoft TotalMediaTheater. Does the disc play correctly in them? If no, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, because having worked in hardware, it should also now work in software.
    If yes to software. Your disc is perfectly fine. Now the problem would be your choice of actual software player that you are attempting to use, and your expectations.
    Software players rely on a large infrastructure of supporting libraries: the OS itself, Disc reading, Filesystem reading, DVD-video container reading, Demuxing, video stream reading & decoding, audio stream reading & decoding, subtitle stream reading & decoding, captioning extraction & decoding, stream synchronization, and rendering & playout through the video card to a display (along with audio through its pathways).
    If any one or more of these things is missing, incomplete, incompatible, corrupted, bypassed, or interfered with, you will have a problem.

But maybe you don't have a problem, it's just your expectations.

On one level, YES, your DVD disc could be considered a data disc with a bunch of files on it.
    On another level, because it had to go through the extra preparation step of encoding & authoring, it's layed out to exacting standards and (hopefully) is more compatible/universal/reliable. But that requires a software player that ALSO conforms to those same exacting standards, not just a "media file player".

And WRT autorun: Autorun is rarely used these days because of the possible danger of viruses. Don't expect to use it or rely on it.

What should happen when you pop a disc into your hardware player? It should do one of a few proscribe options.
    What should happen when you pop a disc into your software player? NOTHING. Because on a PC, there is no such thing as "proscribed options". Something could do something you don't want done and it's out of your control, just because autorun was turned on. So, lately it often isnt (turned on).
    All that means is that you now have to take the 1 extra step to start the app you want to use, yourself. If it takes more than 1 step, create a keyboard shortcut or desktop alias or something so that next time it WILL be just 1 step.

Scott

*I made up "142", but there are a lot of requirements, so you get my drift.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Like Scott says, does your Mac have the DVD player app, if you stick a store bought DVD in does it play? If not, you either have to check the action setting for when a DVD is inserted (might have been changed by Toast) or you'll have to re-install the app from the Apple discs (easier to do with Pacifist).

Which version of Toast do you have, I believe it can give you a preview of your DVD project before you burn it. If everything works there it should be fine once burned.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!