VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I am new here and I am having a problem with my vcr. It wont record audio from tv but it plays back pre recorded vhs just great. I think its mono. Also I cleaned all of the heads.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You haven't given us much to go on, not even a model # or how it's hooked up. Did it ever work?

So generically, make sure all the mechanical connections are correct -- coax, composite, s-video (if any,) audio L and R. Then make sure the correct inputs are selected when you record.

Do you have a way to monitor a passthrough signal, watching a program as it's being recorded?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Need a lot more info.

Did it ever work for you? More info please. We'd like to know if you last used it 3 years ago, unplugged it and boxed it up, and just got it from the box to try again or if it worked fine last week when you last used it but not today or if you bought it from Ebay/Craigslist and this is your first time to use it or if your cable company gave you a brand new cable box and you've never used the VCR with that new cable box and so on.

Emerson VCRs were really crappy quality. My family had one many years ago. It didn't last more than maybe 2 years. I remember my parents and especially my dad being pissed off when it had to be replaced because we did not get a lot of use out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought it at an estate sale and they mentioned that they had it recording when their kids were over about 2 weeks ago. Also ive had directv for a while and never tried to record with a vcr. The model is "vcr875" i believe. Also i dont know what a passthrough signal is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Passthrough means you can see and hear the signal live while it is recording.

If you're using directv its very likely you're trying to feed an analog recorder with a digital signal. Won't work. Please answer my earlier questions about how it's all connected.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe last time i saw it hooked up it was thru the rca cables
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also would it work recording ota channels w/ a converter box?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RNT View Post
    Also would it work recording ota channels w/ a converter box?
    Try recording with the VCR coax in connected to the the coax out from the converter box (the VCR will need to be tuned to channel 3 or 4) as well as using the RCA connections. However, if the VCR doesn't work properly when connected to a satellite receiver using RCA cables, it may not work any better with the connections available on a DTV to analog converter box.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2014 at 10:23. Reason: fix bad cut and paste from last night
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Emerson makes the worst vcrs,i used to fix them under warranty,you can get better vcrs at the local thrift shop for around $5 that are hi-fi.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!