VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just installed Lives today, on a 64bit Lubuntu 14.04 system, to edit a file created with vokoscreen. Didn't get far. Soon as I try to open the mkv file vokoscreen created, Lives crashes. Ran Lives in a terminal and saw this:

$ lives

** (lives-exe:7746): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-HJlC6LI8W3: Connection refused

LiVES 2.2.0
    Copyright 2002-2013 Gabriel Finch (salsaman@gmail.com) and others.
    LiVES comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

LiVES info: Invalid effect farneback_analyserfarneback_analysersalsaman1 found in compound effect image_stabilizer, line 4

LiVES info: Invalid effect farneback_analyserfarneback_analysersalsaman1 found in compound effect motion_analyser, line 4

/usr/lib/lives/lives-exe: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib//lives/plugins/decoders/mkv_decoder.so: undefined symbol: av_set_pts_info
    $
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since there are a lot more multimedia users at the ubuntu support forums than people here who know a lot about linux, I'd suggest asking the question there. I don't use Lives myself though I have it installed on another machine. This is the first I've heard of vokoscreen.

A quick search indicated that the message is a bug that the developer doesn't agree that is a bug. Not sure about that and I'm not going to look any further into it.

Do you have lubuntu-restricted-extras installed?

How did you install Lives? A quick peek in synaptic said it's in the standard repos. If you installed it from a 3rd party ppa then disable that ppa in your sources list, purge lives, reinstall. Don't use a 3rd party untested ppa unless that program does something you can't live without. Common noob mistake.

Or try other editors ... I never liked Lives anyway ... openshot and kdenlive are very good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try shotcut.......
    Last edited by racer-x; 5th Aug 2014 at 18:50.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are much better tools than LiVES.

Any particular reason you want to go with it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. No particular reason for Lives. It was only that it is in the Ubuntu repositories.

I had another probelm that may have affected Lives. Looking at videos on Youtube with Firefox, the Flash plugin was not playing any sound and running at something like 4x normal speed, for no reason I could see. This started happening shortly after I installed Lives. Couldn't find any configuration to get Flash back to normal. What was most peculiar was that Flash worked fine under another user account. Resetting Firefox did not help. Moving the .macromedia directory didn't help either. Started moving all the configuration directories (.gconf, .gnome, .local, .cache, .config and a few others), and that fixed the problem with Flash. I haven't chased down which of those directories was the problem.

Then, for the heck of it, tried Lives again, and got a different result. Instead of crashing, now Lives says:

$ lives vokoscreen-2014-08-05_11-37-02.mkv

LiVES 2.2.0
    Copyright 2002-2013 Gabriel Finch (salsaman@gmail.com) and others.
    LiVES comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

LiVES info: Invalid effect farneback_analyserfarneback_analysersalsaman1 found in compound effect image_stabilizer, line 4

LiVES info: Invalid effect farneback_analyserfarneback_analysersalsaman1 found in compound effect motion_analyser, line 4

Failed to open file - I tried:

LANGUAGE=en LANG=en "/usr/bin/mplayer" -quiet -osdlevel 0 -vo png:z=1:alpha -lavdopts o=threads=4 -noframedrop -ao pcm:fast:nowaveheader -mc 0 "vokoscreen-2014-08-05_11-37-02.mkv" </dev/null

Maybe you are missing a library in mplayer (or it is not a valid media file) ?

Anyway, the matter is academic for the moment. I simply made another video of what I wanted. Thanks for the suggestions. I may try shotcut.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shotcut works better in Linux than it does in Windows. No need to install, just unpack and run.................
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!