VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about a thousand DVD's on hard drives that I want to convert to movie only ISO's. These are going to be used with WDTV live boxes. The software should be able to compress to a DVD-5.

I have Nero 2014 Platinum. Recode is a bit flakey and very slow to setup batches of DVD's.
    Tried DVD2One, but it for some reason it will skip parts of a movie or repeat a chapter, so It's no good.

Any help on selecting a program would be most appreciated.

Todd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink still works fine if the copy protection was removed when they were RIPped.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you use DVDShrink (I regularly use it for ripping but I haven't used it to "shrink" video for years), there's some quality options you might want to enable. You find them in the window which opens after clicking on "Backup". I'm not sure how much they improve the quality (I've read lots of criticisms regarding DVDShrink's standard re-compression if you need to compress much).

Do you need DVD5 for a reason? I've found if you remove everything you don't need (alternative audio languages, commentary etc) and you're only backing up the movie, a lot of the time you won't need much compression. Sometimes it'll already be less than DVD5 size, sometimes more (DVDShrink will tell you), but it's better not to re-compress if possible (DVDShrink lets you pick the desired target output size. It's set to DVD5 by default).

To backup just the movie, click on the re-author button. In the right pane you'll see at least a single title (often more). It's usually fairly obvious which title is the movie. Drag it from the right pane to the left. Select it in the left pane and you can enable/disable audio and subtitle streams. There's also an edit button which I sometimes use to remove the studio promo crud from the beginning. Once you're done, click on backup and select ISO as the output format.

Unfortunately I don't think DVDShrink has a "batch mode".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    But there is MultiShrink.

The readme appears to be somewhat important...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies. I checked out DVDShrink. It looks like it can work. The reason the for DVD-5 requirement, It will conserve space so I can move to BD ISO's or MKV's of my Blu-ray's down the road.

I have read the readme on Multishrink. Haven't quite figured it out completely, but I'll get there.

I've been running into an out of memory error with DVDShrink. However, I found elsewhere that the program seems to encounter this when writing to an external drive. Switched to an internal drive and no problems.

Thanks again
    Todd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you will be storing as *.iso's somewhere, (hdd?) for watching, dont compress. You can always open the uncompressed file & then compress it with 'dvdshrink' to fit dvd5's if you want to burn. I too have a wdtv live smp box, <- a bit of a joke, watching dvd folder (vob) to watch I must click on movie name -> VIDEO_TS -> the 1st vob file. ifo & bup files dont show up. When pausing or viewing info about flick, it shows the name as which vob file I click on. A portion of data shown includes 'black snow' going up to almost half the screen. Try it on an all white (ie snow-covered mountains) scene, & it is OBVIOUS!. Iso's start from 'movies name'.iso.

I had a 'Lasonic'dvd/internal hdd player & one of the first argosy hdd players, both would only play dvd folder flicks, so I have been converting them 'slowly' to iso's.

The issue I had with dvd folders is, as individual files, they are copied helter-skelter by windoze all over the hdd in no particular order, whilst as iso's, being single files, are copied always from beginning to end. The players would pause momentarily, quite often as the hdd 'searched' for these scattered files.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the input. I want everything set for DVD-5 so if for some reason I need to make disc, I can just click and have Nero Express punch one out. No messing around with anything else. So far most movies aren't compressing at all. I'm stripping everything out that I don't need.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Well, Nero ... will probably work with DVD-5 ISOs. Still, I'd prefer ImgBurn, especially whenever there is DVD Video content. Compared to this efficient and conformant tool, the Nero Suite is bloatware.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!