VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread
  1. http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

    Converting videos and audios has never been so easy.

    Killing videos and audios too.

    (do not) try this one, and your source is gone ...

    Code:
    $ ffmpeg -loop -i input.mp4 output.avi
    Yes, it's a syntax error I made myself by forgetting the argument (-loop 1). Perhaps I'm the only one who makes mistakes now and then, especially when the clock passed midnight, but still. It seems to do this with every command before the input. Not only -loop (e.g. also -threads).

    Why does FFmpeg not explicitly forces to use -o for the output path, like most other command line tools do, instead of doing a wild guess? Would make error checking for the developers much easier. Simply no -i no input, no -o no output = error.

    Yes I know I could report it but the FFmpeg procedure to report bugs or post suggestions is not the easiest around.

    Anyway, you are warned

    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K View Post

    Why does FFmpeg not explicitly forces to use -o for the output path, like most other command line tools do, instead of doing a wild guess? Would make error checking for the developers much easier. Simply no -i no input, no -o no output = error.

    Yes I know I could report it but the FFmpeg procedure to report bugs or post suggestions is not the easiest around.


    And there is some politics and personalities involved about what gets accepted for review or not. My understanding is that's one of the big reasons for the split between libav / avconv vs. ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes I know I could report it but the FFmpeg procedure to report bugs or post suggestions is not the easiest around.
    Where is the problem in reporting a bug or feature request to their bug tracker (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/) ?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Where is the problem in reporting a bug or feature request to their bug tracker (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/) ?
    Well, at first I'll have to register. At second I'll have to post the full FFmpeg log and thereafter as poisondeathray mentioned my report might not be accepted.

    Guess it's me. I'm just too lazy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm just too lazy.
    Seems like it.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. vanished El Heggunte's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Misplaced Childhood
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Where is the problem in reporting a bug or feature request to their bug tracker (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/) ?
    Well, at first I'll have to register. At second I'll have to post the full FFmpeg log and thereafter as poisondeathray mentioned my report might not be accepted.
    That's it, https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3803

    Bottom-line is, when things are already broken, why should we ever care about fixing them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I'm just too lazy.
    Seems like it.
    ... or to old.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sine you were able to register and post quite a few posts the last few days I would go with 'too lazy' and not 'too old'.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Sine you were able to register and post quite a few posts the last few days I would go with 'too lazy' and not 'too old'.
    I did not register. I just logged in.

    I only wanted to warn and wondered why FFmpeg "thinks" that everything that is not a input, is a output.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Code:
    $ ffmpeg -loop -i input.mp4 output.avi
    Above example from the first post was slightly too limited to get the error (as is the example from the FFmpeg web site that suggest you get a useful output with that). FFmpeg here will still warn you that the input file already exists and if it should overwrite it.

    Code:
    $ ffmpeg -loop -i input.mp4 -y output.avi
    However with the -y command added it will still kill the input file. Many use this command when they do some kind of batch processing with FFmpeg.

    Thought it's fair to post this correction.

    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  11. vanished El Heggunte's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Misplaced Childhood
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Bottom-line is, when things are already broken, why should we ever care about fixing them?
    For the notes, twolame is much worse than ffmpeg, since its current maintainer (apparently a Linux troll) thinks it's OK that the source-code can't be compiled on Windows anymore:

    https://github.com/njh/twolame/issues/12
    Quote Quote