VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an MKV I've added an MKA (Dolby TrueHD file) to it; it plays (the sound) perfectly on my VLC, but on my blu ray, it doesn't, it fails to load the audio, doesn't plays it.

How can I do for the DOLBYTRUEHD5.1 audio to be played and recognized by the player and heard perfectly?

I forgot to mention, it's a MKV I play from USB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your blu ray player model would be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's a Sony BDP5100 if I remember correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PCM is the only lossless codec the BDP-S5100 will play from USB. (TrueHD can only be played from BD.)

Other than that you can try Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG or AAC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've got a FLAC 5.1 version of the DolbyTrueHD, that might do, since it's loseless?

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What if I turn it to a BDMV file, as in MT2S or something like that? It's kind of blu-ray-ish file, I guess it still wouldn't play it..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sony BDP-S5100
    MPEG4/AVC - .mkv - Dolby Digital, DTS, LPCM, MPEG, AAC
    Unless there's been a firmware update to fix it there's no TrueHD, no DTS-MA and no FLAC. It won't play VC-1 or MPEG2 from an MKV either.

-Edit- The only other audio codec options over USB are WMA9 if you encode into XVid or WMV files or DTS if you go .PS/.TS.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 4th Aug 2014 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote  
  8. My blu-ray player does read in USB DTS-HD MA, though it plays it as a DTS 5.1, and usually sometimes makes the player crack. It plays FLAC audio in the USB MKVs perfectly. And plays VC-1 or MPEG-2.. I'm not sure of the latter as in video, it shoulda.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then the Manual is out of date, according to it the player should only play FLAC from a .flac file. You'll have to experiment to see what works, and just accept that it won't play every combination, even if you don't get why.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh, I know it won't play everything I desire and I'm okay with that. I had to re-code a High10L5 to HighL4.1, but maintains the quality. I just wanted to have the original losless file for the MKV but I guess I'll go perfectly with the FLAC 5.1 of the same encode, which I'm sure will sound more or less as fine as the DolbyTrueHDfile.

You can be sure, out of my own experience, it plays FLAC on a MKV video. It sure played a video I have, and it listened perfectly. Like I said, DTS-HD MA is presented as DTS 5.1 and plays, but sometimes lags heavily (as in freezes the player.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. which I'm sure will sound more or less as fine as the DolbyTrueHDfile.
    flac is a lossless audio compression -> it should sound exactly like input, assuming you didn't mess up while creating (decoding) the input you feed to flac.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    I have an MKV I've added an MKA (Dolby TrueHD file) to it; it plays (the sound) perfectly on my VLC, but on my blu ray, it doesn't, it fails to load the audio, doesn't plays it.

How can I do for the DOLBYTRUEHD5.1 audio to be played and recognized by the player and heard perfectly?

I forgot to mention, it's a MKV I play from USB
    You would want an .m2ts file and you would want probably PCM audio (I don't know a way to encode to Dolby TRUEHD or DTS-HD MA in order for it to play back properly on your BD and BD player.) .mkv and .mka are not in the BD spec so the player won't play them cause it doesn't know what they are.
    Last edited by hogger129; 6th Aug 2014 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  13. My recommendation would be to convert the Dolby TrueHD audio to DD 5.1 640 Kbps. Yes, you're taking a step down but it'll be more universally playable.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
    .mkv and .mka are not in the BD spec so the player won't play them cause it doesn't know what they are.
    Pretty much every Bluray player made today will play MKV/MP4/M4V/AVI etc, including the player the OP owns. They won't necessarily support every type of audio and video you can put inside each one, but they'll usually play the most common ones.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!