VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good Day

I need some advice on converting mp4's to a format that plays on my DVD player, that's attached to a NON-HD TV. I was using format factory 2.6 to do my normal conversions, till mp4's came out and I had to upgrade to FF 3.3.

So I figured it would be the same thing, but I am sadly mistaken. On Format Factory 2.6, I used to convert HD avi's to divx or xvid, and the conversions worked fine, and played fine on the TV as well. But with mp4's, the format is so much larger, that the conversions don't work, unless I choose very low quality settings in FF. So, my q:

What should the AVI settings be, in Format Factory 3.3.1, to convert mp4 files(normally blu-ray), so that they play on a DVD player on an SD TV, in "DVD quality picture"? Please bear in mind my knowledge on this subject is very limited, which is probably evident by the way I posed the question, lol!), and I only use the above for movies I've downloaded, so I don't have much more info than what's in the name of the file I'm converting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably frame size. Divx/DVD players usually can't play anything over 720 pixels wide, 480 or 576 pixels tall.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/290800-My-DivX-DVD-Player-can-t-play-my-avi-DivX-xv...highlight=divx
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, that is helpful, however, the divx player is not the issue, because it plays the files, it's the TV that creates the issue, since it's not HD (The message "Your TV does not support HD Video Formats" comes up, but the audio still plays). Also, I've tried using the "360p" manual setting on FF3.3, it works when the original file was converted to 720p, but the exact same setting, does not work for files that were converted to 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo, I think I found the solution in Dennis's response, you are a star, I'll post if it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "mp4" is a file type and can contain any resolution of video. Also, your comments of the problem keep contradicting.

For what it's worth, a "DVD" player that can play the file, should display on any TV. DVD is SD. The error message you are seeing is likely from the DVD player, not the TV. But we are limited by your conflicting statements and not knowing the exact hardware being used.

If you have figured it out, that's fine. Otherwise, hardware and file specs would be helpful.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!