VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a circa 2003 Samsung DLP fully HDMI connected thru a circa 2009 Anthem pre-amp. I run U-Verse cable. For the last few years I have gotten the "HDCP error" msg when I turn the system on. In 2010 I did a software update on the Anthem which resolved the problem for a few months. I get around this (and display a clear signal) after f-ing around with input/output pathways on the Anthem and then switching back to my cable box input path, or by unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable (input from the U-verse) on the back of the Anthem.

Anyone know how to resolve this permanently?
    Is this problem remedied by replacing my TV (looking at the Samsung UHD sets), or is this a prob with the Anthem pre-amp?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	26721  

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I know how to fix this, but you're not going to like it. The fix is "Don't buy Samsung". Seriously. Samsung TVs have been infamous for many years now for HDCP sync issues. I had a Samsung LCD HDTV and it really got old dealing with HDCP issues. If I didn't power on my components in a specific way, the TV would never pick up the signal. Others here have reported the same thing with Samsung TVs. I don't know if they've ever fixed it. They make a good product and I was happy with the quality of the TV when I had it (after about 5 years I gave it away and replaced it with a 3D LCD HDTV from Visio, which I still like and use) but yeah, that issue really got old quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the TV's model number? As I recall, few TVs had HDMI connections in 2003 and not all were HDCP compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What is the TV's model number? As I recall, few TVs had HDMI connections in 2003 and not all were HDCP compliant.
    I don't know, but that explains it and was what I was thinking.
    As a matter of fact, it did this with cox as my cable provider only after adding the Anthem, but does it 90% of the time since switching
    To ATT Uverse
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I'm sure it is 100% the fault of the TV provider and it has nothing at all to do with the fact that is a known issue and has been for years. We've talked about it a bunch of times here. But what do I and other Samsung owners know? Yes, continue to wait and someone will give you the secret magic code you need to fix this. Right...

By the way, this problem isn't limited to 2003 models, but what do I know? Nothing. Wait for your magic code.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RKF View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't know, but that explains it and was what I was thinking.
    As a matter of fact, it did this with cox as my cable provider only after adding the Anthem, but does it 90% of the time since switching
    To ATT Uverse
    I found an article from 2003 discussing Samsung's 2003 DLP TVs. http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-introduces-2003-dtv-lineup/#!buUzKP The DLP TVs were to have HDCP compliant (HDCP I 1.0 or 1.1 based on the date) DVI connections. Regardless, the TV, pre-amp, and AT&T STB just don't work well together. The TV may have been expensive and cutting edge in its day,but in 2009 when you bought your pre-amp it was already more than a little obsolete. You probably should consider getting another TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you take the pre-amp out of the picture does the problem go away? If it does, maybe the TV isn't to blame. Have you tried changing the HDMI cables?

I have a Samsung Plasma. It's a couple of years old. I've never seen a HDCP error message. I have the HDMI devices connected directly to the TV though, so I don't know if that's why it works flawlessly, but it does.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Yes, I know how to fix this, but you're not going to like it. The fix is "Don't buy Samsung". Seriously. Samsung TVs have been infamous for many years now for HDCP sync issues. I had a Samsung LCD HDTV and it really got old dealing with HDCP issues. If I didn't power on my components in a specific way, the TV would never pick up the signal. Others here have reported the same thing with Samsung TVs. I don't know if they've ever fixed it. They make a good product and I was happy with the quality of the TV when I had it (after about 5 years I gave it away and replaced it with a 3D LCD HDTV from Visio, which I still like and use) but yeah, that issue really got old quickly.
    Problem solved...by replacing '03 Samsung DLP with '14 Samsung Plasma.
    The DLP was great other than the HDCP issue. It still was better than their current LEDs for sports watching. Samsungs products have been great for me & this pn60f8500 Plasma is astoundingly good.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by RKF View Post
    Samsungs products have been great for me & this pn60f8500 Plasma is astoundingly good.
    I'm jealous. I own a budget model 51" Plasma which I'd planned to move to another room and replace it with a bigger and better model sometime next year. But by the time I can afford it I mightn't be able to, given Samsung are ending Plasma production later this year.

Sigh.... LCD? Nah.....
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!